Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt Licks for Roe

Salt Licks for Roe

I've seen the other posts on here which suggest that Roe are not attracted by salt Licks. Does anyone else have any experience? If salt licks don't work, in readiness for the forthcoming buck season, what else might work?

I have a couple of Sheep Rockies that I was going to place on a couple of stumps at opposite ends of my ground.

I would like to draw Roe out of adjacent woodland onto rough pasture.

Any thoughs most gratefully received

I can't speak for roe but I have found that mollasses will draw deer (sika) and they will eat anything that smells of mollasses, including bits of wood that happen to have got some overspill. They seem to be able to smell it from miles and I watched a stag with the wind behind him sniff out some. He struggled to get a smell of it but knew there was something there that interested him but once he got it he trotted right in to the spot.

You can buy mollasses in most shops that sell stuff for agriculture or horses and it isn't expensive, you can even pour it on your salt licks to get them started on them. You can also mix it with some beef nuts to get the deer going at them.

I've tried salt licks for Roe and watched them with a "stealth" camera. They have a look at them but not interested.
    Tell you what is a good idea as Roe a very selective feeders. Try feeding the area round your clearing or high seat with nitrogen based fertilizer.
    Roe can detect the slightest increase in nitrogen levels in leaves, that's because they are much tastier of course.

I think it depends where you are and the underlying geology. Up here the roe will go KNZ blocks no bother at all
    I's also fed them beat pulp .

What about feeding carrots?

Certainly with the sika I found they weren't mad on carrots. They would eat them alright but they wouldn't go out of their way to get at them. Flaked maize was similar, it wasn't a big hit at all but cattle/sheep/pony nuts were much more popular. Clearly roe or even deer in different areas might have different tastes but I'd try beef nuts with some mollasses before carrots or maize.

the fella i did my dsc1 with swears tick beans will get deer were you want them,never tried it yet.

I used alot of cracked maize last season to help hold the pheasants, it also seemed to attract Roe.
    Every hopper and hand fed area where maize was used was covered in slots. But the areas where wheat was is fed didnt recieve any where near as much interest.

What about "Salzpaste" (sic)? I've seen it advertised in magazines, just wondered how good it was?

The paste isn't any better and is much more expensive- i've tried it. Buy the 5 litre bottle of molasses from equestrian stores and pour on exposed stumps in open rides/forest edges and the sika will hoard them.

Be careful not to shoot the deer near the site; ambush them on their way there and back. Shoot too close to the site and they'll soon associate the licks/mollasses with danger and actually drive them away.

Attracting and keeping roe is easy - just site an old pheasant feeder with some feed. Roe can't resist them and are well used to stealing from them.