Roe head 90 day drying weight loss

270Buck

Hi,

What do people think?

It weight 650 grams in this state. Still needs some meat picking off. It is a full skull so I know I need to minus 90 grams. Which will leave me with 560 grams.

How much weight is it likely to lose in the 90 day drying off period?

P1000081.jpg

P1000082.jpg

P1000065.jpg

He weighed 55lb!!

Cheers

Ross

Cracking Ross as for weight loss criseoe on here will know Cic measurer now I am going down to his end of the month if you want it looked at
Cheers doug

They usually lose anything from 70-100 grams from wet, tends to be if it weighs 500 grams full skull should make medal, as a guess yours should be about 570 grams so hopefully will be silver maybe even gold depending on volume, very nice head congrats.

Hope it scores well.

Moose

I usually work on them loosing 10% of the wet weight. Goes with out saying that they are all slightly different and will depend on how well you have cleaned it up.

Ys chris

I have one sitting at the moment.
It was 681 grams wet,and now after being on the radiator for a couple of weeks it is 625 grams.
I cant see it loosing much more than that? Minus the 90 grams for full skull ,it should end up about the 530 -ish.

its not an exact science, but if you allow for 10% loss you won't be far wrong, also Buck shot early season will loose more than one shot later in the year.

If this were being charged it would go down as a Gold. I think the best you can say is that currently it is either a very high silver or maybe a gold. Whatever you do don't cut it before you get it measured. A danish friend used to say that bucks from my area were nearly always -130g after about an hour of drying but full skull, not cut. Good luck

What length is he from coronet to antler tip.

Hi Davie,

The antlers are 22.5cm from coronet to tip. I have a silver medal on the wall which is 23cm but has no way near as much pearling or as heavy thick beams and coronets.

Looks good for a silver/gold!!!

Cheers

Ross

i always estimate a weight loss of 15% , and if it actually less than that when you have it measured then thats a bonus !

my compliments to a really nice buck .

cheers lee

i always estimate a weight loss of 15% , and if it actually less than that when you have it measured then thats a bonus !

my compliments to a really nice buck .

cheers lee

Cheers Lee.

The only issue is, it won't be hung on my wall!!! It was a present to my step father for his birthday!!! He also shot a small muntjac buck. As he said the best birthday present I have ever given him!!

He feels guilty that he has shot one of my biggest bucks!!! There are still a few more bucks on my ground that will give him a run for his money though!!!

Cheers

Ross

Anyone got any idea how old he may have been. See some photos below.

I can take some more at different angles if it would help ageing him.

P1000072.jpg

P1000071.jpg

P1000070.jpg

P1000073.jpg

Cheers

Ross

Not sure about the feeding in your area but that looks like a middle age beast on the younger side from my expearience.But cant be sure unless you check tooth section send one to Morena he will know for sure. But he still has plenty of tooth ware left.

Thanks for all the replies.

Forgot to add. In the photo of the buck on the grass, you will see one of Poppins roe sacks.

Best roe sack on the market!!!

Cheers

Ross

Back