A great weekend and an exellent host

Just a few quick lines to share my experience of my exellent weekend in the company of 6pointer,

Left my home in Welwyn at about 9;00am in the morning for the long drive up north to bonnie Scotland made a brief detour to Nottingham to pick up some supplies from Camathies and was back on the road within the hour to complete my 426 mile mission.
Arrived at my destination at 16.40 after dropping a hitchhicker into the town that I picked up around Carlisle,I was shown my room for the night and in what seemed like 5 mins diner was on the table, once diner was consumed and niceities exchanged kids were dropped off at the pool and we were out of the door and on our way to the ground by 18.45.
This was to prove a real challenging evening the wind was howling a good 18 mile an hour we looked everywhere but unfortunately the deer did not want to come out to play on our side of the boundary anyway so it was back home for brew and to bed for around 23.00.
Up at 3.30 and out the door for 4.00 weather looking promising at 6/oc and clear skies.By the time we got to the ground the sun was already high in the sky we had a brief chat about the expectations of the day kitted up and started our walk accompanied by Davie`s trusty hound Ria to the far side of the farm, after a brief climb of what felt like Ben Nevis after 4 hours sleep we stalked from one end of the farm to about half way and spotted a white tush in the distance the decision was made to drop to the lower ground for our stalk in to close the 800yds distance between us, after about twenty mins we re-emerged onto the higher ground to find we were chasing a doe,we sat for a while below the stone wall and glassed the outer perimeters for a good while and after only seeing does the decision was made to stalk the other side of the farm.
The long of the short is lads after a good morning out and Ria proving to be as valuable as any good deer dog should be
my luck changed two yearling bucks dropped to the shot, a stalk of a lifetime on a majestic beast of such quality I would never expect to experiance again let alone stalk it I did have my cross hairs on it a few times but being a consiencous soul there was always something wrong with the shot, I could have necked it at one stage but thought both Davie and the beast deserved better so it lives to fight another day.
My practicing over the years with my kit to fine tune my shooting along with my stalking could have been left in England as the spectacle of a big beast seeing off a smaller beast all took place within 60 yards and the shots fired were all under 40 yds all great memories to carry for the rest of my life.
Dave is a true gent who really knows his ground and is a fantastic host I hope our friendship will outlast the memories that will be with me for ever.
Would I do it again ? hell yea.

Thanks again Davie speak soon

Well done Pierre, shame you could not get a shot at the big boy, he sounded a real beauty.

John

Finally catching up with everything... This must have been the outing you referred to last night.

Well done Pierre!

Back