Which Rifle?

Muntjac lad

I am looking at buying a .243, but i am unsure as to which rifle to buy.....Thoughts please, The good,bad and perculiar

I was in the same predicament and decided on a Sako 85 s/s synthetic, going by various threads on here there are plenty of good rifles to choose from Tikka T3 being an other very popular choice, Also depends on how much you want to spend on a rifle, sky's the limit. I personally went for the Sako as it was the one I used on my DSC course and it just seemed to work for me!

Try and get to handle and shoot a few, see what suits.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Muntjac, worl out what you want from your rifle. What is its use, what style of shooting / hunting are you going to do. Stalking and walking sporter barrel. Varmiting, spotlighting, stands, heavy barrel ? Then go and pick up a few different makes in your price range and see which fit you best. Better still have a shot through a few different makes. As long as you buy reputable brands they are all most good. Second hand rifles are most great value and very few shooter wear a barrel out.

Agree with mountainstalker... Very much like purchasing a car, only you'll know what it is that you want it to feel like. I like my pro-hunter 2, not a bad gun for the money and it groups well.

If you're a member of a club have a look and go with some members rifles...

Have a look on Guntrader. You won't go wrong with either Sako or Tikka, and either make will retain a good % of value if you decide to re-sell it in the future. I'd agree that it is worth considering second hand - there are many lightly used rifles available at good prices.

What you can buy will of course depend upon your budget. I would strongly suggest a cruise round of any available gun shops and see what they have on the racks/shelves. Handle a few and see what you like and check the prices. You will be much better informed as to what is likely to suit you then.

What you can buy will of course depend upon your budget. I would strongly suggest a cruise round of any available gun shops and see what they have on the racks/shelves. Handle a few and see what you like and check the prices. You will be much better informed as to what is likely to suit you then.

Top bit of advice. Buy what you can afford. Asking a question like you have will give you a multitude of different answers and they will all be correct but relevent to the poster. IMHO if all you can afford is a second hand parker hale or a savage for arguments sake. Then it will be the right rifle for you. On the other side of the coin if can afford a Blaser or a custom rifle then it would be the correct rifle for you. Good luck with your choice.

Nutty

tikka t3.
currently using .223 varmint for fox
and roe{scotland}with good results.
atb,
fbrad.

Back