Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To float or not to float

To float or not to float

Hi guys I've got a Weatherby vanguard .270 it shoots 1 inch groups. The stock has full contact on the barrel. Will I benefit if I get the dremmel out and float the barrel or make it worse.

If it aint broke dont fix it! it seems to me that if your shooting an 1" your looking for a problem thats not their!

The thing is my other guns are all free floating. My friends guns are also floating it just doesn't seem right

It might not seem right to you but it works! my own ruger M77 in 243 does not have a floating barrel but it shoots under 1" with factory ammo and under 1/2" with home loads if i do my bit!

I gather the other guns are more cheaply made?

You see my take on this is that manufacturers have jumped onto the "free floating" bandwagon as it's cheap as chips to do in production. After all you could probably train a chimp to hog out the barrel channel in no time at all.. Getting the pressure correct on a fore stock pressure point is another matter entirely.

But what the heck it's your rifle mess with it all you want.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 23-05-2012 at 09:48. Reason: typos

My personal view is that I would always exclude other variables before contemplating change such an important design feature. I wouldn't suggest that manufacturers always get it right but they do spend time and money trying.

What sort of groups do you shoot with your other guns? what is it like with a different brand/bullet weight/velocity of ammo? have you tried another scope/mounts? is the action seating correctly - are the mounting screws/bolts tight/too tight? If you haven't already done so, work your way carefully through all the easy stuff first before taking such a drastic step.

However, as Brit says, ultimately it's your rifle and you must do what you think best.

If the placebo effect is real (and evidence seems to suggest that it is), then if you really believe that free floating a barrel will make it more accurate, it seems logical that it would do. Conversely, if you really believe that it won't, then it won't.

If you believe that a 1" inch group is unsatisfactory, then it is and if the rifle is unsatisfactory, then you are not enjoying your shooting as much as you should.

There is no relevant objective standard with rifles - whatever is does clamped to a bench is interesting but what matters is what it does when you use it. Whatever mine or others view might be, what matters is how you feel.

A friend had a Weatherby 22-250 that would not group well when shot using the bipod. The obvious thing to do was to get a gunsmith to float the barrel.......big mistake! The stock was so flimsy that any small amount of pressure put on it from using the bipod would make it flex and touch the barrel in different places......which made the problem worse!

anyone have first hand experience of having a barrel bore scoped by a gunsmith

this is what happens when someone floats a barrel on a stock not designed to be floated.
    Took me 50 odd rounds and a lot of faffing to discover what the problem was

Quote Originally Posted by ossett_hunter View Post
    Hi guys I've got a Weatherby vanguard .270 it shoots 1 inch groups. The stock has full contact on the barrel. Will I benefit if I get the dremmel out and float the barrel or make it worse.

Hi OH, I have a vanguard .243 that I recently changed the nasty plastic stock, for a Boyds laminate stock, the plastic stock was, as is yours pressure bedded , the new stock fully floated the barrel, now the rifle was accurate with the old stock on, now it is a compleat tack driver, I mean ragged one hole groups @ 100 yds, with reloads I might add, however not every rifle will behave the same so on your head be it, but if it buggers things up it should not be too hard to re pressure bed the stock, or you can buy my old one from me haha.

The main advantage with a free floating barrel is less chance of zero changing as the barrel heats up - therefore unless you intend to shoot over 10 rounds at a time I should leave it alone. On the other hand if you intend to do some serious range work with it then get it floated (by a gunsmith!)