Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Cocker Spaniel owner

Working Cocker Spaniel owner

I have joined this forum primarily for guidance and help in getter my planned litter of working cocker spaniels to have their tails docked (leaving 3/4 though).
    Hard one for me as I don't work her, don't own a shotgun and don't know any gamekeepers.
    My apply for a shotgun license if it achieves a better wellbeing for the puppies future.

Andrew from S.c.u.n.t.h.o.r.p.e.

Ring round a few vets, ask if they want proof of them being working dogs, if not happy days.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Thanks for trying to help... but I am ringing round thank you and they are hard to come by for those that dock. Recommendations are always better.

My fathers last litter was done by Applegarth in Norton, North Yorks. Bit of a ride out from scunny but could be worth it?

Welcome to the site.
    You come from a town that has one of only three football teams in the football leagues that has a swear word in its you know the other 2?

Good luck getting your dogs docked
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

tjwaines - thanks for that. but yes a little too far away. I will keep trying and researching. hit a stumbling block it seems. btw my dog looks very much like yours in your avatar.

limulus - that would be my team Arsenal and man f****** utd ha ha

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

BASC are supposed to have a list of vets that will dock, you probably need to be a member to get the info though.
    My Cocker is docked with 3/4 left and my vet told me she hadnt been docked!!

We've always had ours 1/3 docked, much prefer them to have a short tail, especially the amount they wag them about on a scent!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've found a vet that will dock the tails if I provide a shotgun license or a letter from a gamekeeper/landowner from where the dogs will be worked.
    But only one vet will do it there and depends if he doesn't book a holiday mid september.
    I am still stuck big time.
    My dog has now just been mated with a stud dog from someone who owns and works them 2.5 hrs drive from me.
    But if I apply for a shotgun license I am hearing stories of the process taking months.
    And I don't know any gamekeepers, landowners or anyone with a shotgun license that I can ask for help with the docking forms acceptance proof from my area (Scunny/gainsborugh).

Driving me up the wall now. I fear I may be stuck with puppies I can't dock their tails and they'll end up to owners in the city who can't provided them the exercise and freedom of the countryside they need.

But I keep spending all day trying to find a solution.