.22 cf advice

Mungo

Looking for a bit of advice...

Grew up doing a lot small game (duiker and steenbok) shooting with a .22WMR, and loved it. I've also used a .22 Hornet a few times, and liked it as well.

Starting to think about getting a similar small calibre rifle for longer range bunnies, foxes, corvids etc. Don't like .17HMR at all, and hate 22-250.

So which would people recommend: .22WMR, .22 Hornet or .223? If I understand correctly, only the last (.223) is also deer legal in Scotland?

Thanks

Although I personally think 223 is a bit over the top expense wise for shooting crows etc: unless loading your own. But starting up you own reloading system doesn't come cheap. I would still have to go with the 223 especially as you are in Scotland when roe are on the menu. it's ideal for fox but your rabbits aren't going to be worth a lot!

.223 is the only one that is a true 200yd+ calibre that will knock a fox down with confidence
WMR runs out of steam past 150
Hornet similarly but not so swiftly

I'd thought about a .222, but I've never used one and I was under the impression that factory ammunition was hard to come by. Certainly appealing given what little I've read. Is there a meaningful difference with .223?

I'd thought about a .222, but I've never used one and I was under the impression that factory ammunition was hard to come by. Certainly appealing given what little I've read. Is there a meaningful difference with .223?

If you listened to the yanks, you would think the 222 dead and buried, but here in the UK and Europe it is alive and well plenty of good factory ammo about. As you say though, there is no meaningful difference between the 222 and 223, the 222 is just sexier. I hear you don't like the 22/250, that is fair enough, but with a good mod on the end, the 22/250 is a fantastic tool. If I coould only have one 22CF, the 22/250 would be it.

If you are not reloading this is not an option, but my next CF will be a 20Tac.

.223 is the only one that is a true 200yd+ calibre that will knock a fox down with confidence
WMR runs out of steam past 150
Hornet similarly but not so swiftly
Not legal for Deer , but a "True" 200 yard cartridge for Fox, in .17 cf,30 grain bullet, Remmy Fireball!.......... also quality rabbits if you head shoot.

I have a .223. good for vermin out to 200yds, It is a Tikka T3 sporter and loves 55gr Privvi ammo and at less than £10 per box it is not worth reloading. :thumb:

Having just purchased a 222 but with only 1 range day under my belt so far I honestly cant fault the round with Privi ammo ,really do need a mod tho.If your not after deer what about the new 17 round thats due out.Best of luck with what ever you chose.

It is a buyers market for .222 due to the dominance of .223. Compare the prices on guntrader.
Privi make factory ammo as do a few others as you can see here: Untitled Document

I have a .222 and a .22 Hornet. Love them both but shoot the Hornet more than the .222. Probably because I love the rifle chambered for it. I do think the .222 is easier to glean accuracy from.~Muir

Back