What`s the chances?

basil

Distinguished Member
A mate from the past invited me out for a days fishing on his boat.
5.45am i leave my home to meet Paul at his house. On the way i pass a Roe buck laid on the verge, a quick glimpse has me thinking "I`m sure it`s still alive" so i go on a mile or so to where i can turn around.
On getting back to the Buck a land rover is already there and i get out. "Is it still alive?" i ask. "Yes mate and you won`t believe it, i`ve brought the 22 but no ammo. I didn`t even bring a knife" :doh:
"This is your lucky day as i have both" says i.
With the deer dealt with the chap says
"What`s the chances of that, i have no ammo and the next car along has?"
Anymore strange coincidences??

'A mate from the past invited me out for a days fishing on his boat.'

Mmm. A knife I can understand but a .22 for fishing

Nothing strange there I went fishing in NZ last yr caught a nice shark skipper pulls out a 22 sawn off rifle almost blows my ears out

Maybe Basil was stopping off on the way back home to shoot bunnies on his local farm, or maybe his friend offered him a chance to get some bunnie bashing after they had finished fishing?. Either way DONT jump to conclusions, this happens too often on here.

Maybe Basil was stopping off on the way back home to shoot bunnies on his local farm, or maybe his friend offered him a chance to get some bunnie bashing after they had finished fishing?. Either way DONT jump to conclusions, this happens too often on here.

Not jumping to any conclusions Malc just asking why you need .22 ammo to go fishing.

Not jumping to any conclusions Malc just asking why you need .22 ammo to go fishing.
The chap in the land rover had the 22 and no ammo, i had the ammo and a knife but no 22. I had 2 bullets on the floor left over from the previous evenings excursion.

The chap in the land rover had the 22 and no ammo, i had the ammo and a knife but no 22. I had 2 bullets on the floor left over from the previous evenings excursion.

This is what I was getting at. There have been a lot of comments made on here recently about not giving antis or your local constabulary any ammunition (excuse the pun) against shooters. As far as I am aware ammo left over from a previous excursion would not constitute reasonable grounds for having the ammo in your car.

section 1 ammunition must be stored securely to
prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable,
unauthorised people taking or using them. Any
other person who does not hold a firearm or
shotgun certificate is included in the term
‘unauthorised’. When a gun or section 1
ammunition is being used or the holder has the gun
with him for some purpose connected with its use,
transfer or sale, reasonable precautions must be
taken for the safe custody of the gun(s) and
section 1 ammunition.

If we are all going to pulled up on our shortcomings then the rules must apply to us all and not just a few.
Whilst I whole-heartedly support your quick and humane dispatch, I would humbly suggest that the thread be deleted and restarted using a little poetic license.

Admin. As we appear to have one or two "whiter than white, perfection personified" souls on here please delete this thread.
Thanks.
basil.

Admin. As we appear to have one or two "whiter than white, perfection personified" souls on here please delete this thread.
Thanks.
basil.

I'm definitely not whiter than white.
And it's not my license. Just trying to help before the rozzers come a knockin'. I've heard Avon and Somerset are buggers

I went fishing with a guy a few years back.
He was one side of the lake and I the other when suddenly I heard Bang! Bang! Bang!
When I went round to see what he was up to he had his .22 pistol out shooting into the lake. People didn't worry about richochets in those days !!
It turned out that as he was landing a small fish a pike took it and wouldn't let go so rather than muck about with a landing net he let the pike have it.
I might add, that was in a country that had more liberal gun laws than we have and the guy was an RSM so expected the fish to roll over and die when he told it to anyway!!!

Last edited:
Personally I never go fishing without taking at least the .22lr, and often a shotgun as well.
The lakes are on my permission though :D
On a good day I catch a few carp, shoot a bunny and top it off with a pheasant.

Neil. :)

Does it really matter to anyone else? All i care about is these two gentlemen between them managed to put the the poor buck out of its misery . Basil did you have a good days fishing ?

Chill

.22 ammo for fishing,,no probs.., I find ammo in the most random places, once found shotgun cartridges in my barbour jacket pocket as I was heading through security at the airport...decided they better go in the bin than open up to security as had no SGC/FAC on me! LOL..

.22 ammo for fishing,,no probs.., I find ammo in the most random places, once found shotgun cartridges in my barbour jacket pocket as I was heading through security at the airport...decided they better go in the bin than open up to security as had no SGC/FAC on me! LOL..

A friend discovered a couple of shotgun cartridges in his jacket at heathrow a couple of years back, he handed them into a police man who was patrolling the airport who thanked him. It would have only been a slight problem if he had wanted them back.

Licensing-wise you only need a license to purchase so you weren't doing anything wrong by having them in your jacket without your SGC.

This is what I was getting at. There have been a lot of comments made on here recently about not giving antis or your local constabulary any ammunition (excuse the pun) against shooters. As far as I am aware ammo left over from a previous excursion would not constitute reasonable grounds for having the ammo in your car.

section 1 ammunition must be stored securely to
prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable,
unauthorised people taking or using them. Any
other person who does not hold a firearm or
shotgun certificate is included in the term
‘unauthorised’. When a gun or section 1
ammunition is being used or the holder has the gun
with him for some purpose connected with its use,
transfer or sale, reasonable precautions must be
taken for the safe custody of the gun(s) and
section 1 ammunition.

If we are all going to pulled up on our shortcomings then the rules must apply to us all and not just a few.
Whilst I whole-heartedly support your quick and humane dispatch, I would humbly suggest that the thread be deleted and restarted using a little poetic license.

Teyhan,

Drive directly to the Politically Correct Roundabout, turn down Whiter than White Street and keep going past Cloud Cuckoo Land. Eventually you will come to the Real World.

Every Gamekeeper I know ALWAYS has the odd round bouncing about in his truck. I keep a 100gn soft point in my camo jacket pocket just in case I see a decent Roe Buck when I am out dawn/dusk foxing as the rifle is loaded with 75gn BT's. Do I take it out every time I get home? NO.

Get real for God's sake.

Teyhan,

Drive directly to the Politically Correct Roundabout, turn down Whiter than White Street and keep going past Cloud Cuckoo Land. Eventually you will come to the Real World.

Every Gamekeeper I know ALWAYS has the odd round bouncing about in his truck. I keep a 100gn soft point in my camo jacket pocket just in case I see a decent Roe Buck when I am out dawn/dusk foxing as the rifle is loaded with 75gn BT's. Do I take it out every time I get home? NO.

Get real for God's sake.

I don't live in cloud cuckoo land.
I make errors too.
I just try to not broadcast them to all and sundry in an open forum.
I also understand that just because I'm not part of a 'click group' my views are worth a w--k either.

I just try to not broadcast them to all and sundry in an open forum.

Excuse me, but did you not just request we delete a thread in which you were admitting some rather questionable actions?

Or is that the reason you are jumping on this thread?

Back