Anyone use .204 cal rifle?

Onto my second .204 (Remy 700 and now Tikka T3) and I love the calibre.

Have put factory 32's through them and hand load 39gr Blitzkings and 40gr Berger. Can't fault any of them, to be honest.

George

i have a howa 204 and on foxes out to 300 yards its amazing...its my rifle of choice for lamping,i use Hornady 32 grn vmax from my local gun shop£18 per box of 20...

I had a 204, the amazing thing with them is that when the wind blows you can even shoot around corners with them so nothing can hide! Personally i would'nt waste your money grab the RPA 6mm BR in the classifieds and shoot 55gr's to around 4000fps (and yes it can be achieved) not only less wind affected but considerably more accurate.

I had a 204, the amazing thing with them is that when the wind blows you can even shoot around corners with them so nothing can hide! Personally i would'nt waste your money grab the RPA 6mm BR in the classifieds and shoot 55gr's to around 4000fps (and yes it can be achieved) not only less wind affected but considerably more accurate.

If you learn to shoot wind isn't that much of a problem!!

204 is a good tool for fox and rabbits but it ain't no 22-250.

If you learn to shoot wind isn't that much of a problem!!

204 is a good tool for fox and rabbits but it ain't no 22-250.

Oh dont you worry about my ability to be able to shoot! My custom 7mm will shoot 2.5" groups at 600 yards no problem. The 204 is so affected by the wind its unreal and its a well known fact! Now you mention the 22-250, now that is a damn good round, still not as good as a BR though, i sold my BR but it is without doubt the most accurate round you will shoot apart from a PPC but the BR is more universal. 199 out of 200 shooters have never fired a BR and have only shot stock calibres such as 222, 223 etc etc (perhaps you fall into that category?) but if given the opportunity they should as its the holy grail of accuracy! Period!

No mate I have had a cooper 204 and now a 20BR. also had a 243AI and now have a 7mm custom for stalking.

Steve

Well you are heading in the right direction, the 20BR is obviously more accurate than the 204 was (providing its a good build), now you just need to get on a 6mmBr and you will then see what i am trying to say and never look back. I shot quite a few Reds with mine but never felt that comfortable doing it but for Roe etc and for Foxing nothing comes close.

Roe etc and for Foxing nothing comes close.

" Nothing come Close " - I can see your passionate about the 6mmBr - but your stretching its credentials waaaay OOT with statements like that.

Also you quote " I had a 204, the amazing thing with them is that when the wind blows you can even shoot around corners with them - so nothing can hide! Personally i would'nt waste your money - grab the RPA 6mm BR in the classifieds and shoot 55gr's to around 4000fps (and yes it can be achieved) not only less wind affected but considerably more accurate"

Here the maths on 55 grn Sierra BK doing 4000 fps - (assuming the 6mmbr will do that) Compared with a 39 gr BK @ 4000 fps from a 204r

6mm br - 55grn Bk @ 4000 fps - BC 0.225 - drop at 350 yrds = 9.6 Ins Drift in 10 mph cross wind = 13.7 Ins

204 rug - 39grn Bk @ 4000 fps - BC 0.287 - drop at 350 yrds = 8.1 Ins Drift in 10 mph cross wind =
10.3 ins

Not sure why you think the 204 is rubbish in the wind - when it clearly has a better trejectory than the 6Br.

ATB
Alan

Ok so i hold my hands up to the fact i did'nt look at the ballistics for the 55s compared to the 204. I did'nt look as to be perfectly honest i never used the 55s but my friends that do a lot of contract foxing on 2 of the biggest Pheasant shoots in the country do and they shoot around 300 foxes each per year and they swear by them, i personally always used the 105gr A-Max which while obviously drops a little more than the 55s (no biggy just a few more clicks on the elevation turret) is less affected by the wind, actually pretty similar windage to your findings with the 204. As for accuracy YES the Br is in a different league the the 204, you ever seen a 204 being used for F-class or Benchrest shooting? If so did it win anything? No did'nt think so, i wonder why? Oh i know its because the 204 is a piddly little plinking round which while quite usefull as a foxing round is no where near as accurate as the 6mmBr especially at long range.

Last edited:
Ok so i hold my hands up to the fact i did'nt look at the ballistics for the 55s compared to the 204. I did'nt look as to be perfectly honest i never used the 55s but my friends that do a lot of contract foxing on 2 of the biggest Pheasant shoots in the country do and they shoot around 300 foxes each per year and they swear by them, i personally always used the 105gr A-Max which while obviously drops a little more than the 55s (no biggy just a few more clicks on the elevation turret) is less affected by the wind, actually pretty similar windage to your findings with the 204. As for accuracy YES the Br is in a different league the the 204, you ever seen a 204 being used for F-class or Benchrest shooting? If so did it win anything? No did'nt think so, i wonder why? Oh i know its because the 204 is a piddly little plinking round which while quite usefull as a foxing round is no where near as accurate as the 6mmBr especially at long range.

Agree the 6 br is more accurate than the 204 - But lets bare in mind that the vast majority of 6 br's are either full custom rigs or wearing custom barrels. The owners hand load to get the very best out of the calibre.

On the other hand - IMO - most 204 rifles are factory offerings - fitted with a 12 twist which is more suited to shoot a 32 grn bullet fast and flat over relatively short distances

A good 204 rifle can still deliver 0.25 MOA accuracy and a custom barrelled 204 - hand loaded - probably smaller

All things being equal , I suspect the difference in accuracy between the 2 calibres rifles would need to be measured in fractions of an inch and make no difference in the field at regular hunting distances.

The 6 br has the advantage at long range as it has access to a range of high BC bullets that the 20 cal doesn't - However there are plenty of other calibres - EG - 6x47 lap - 6.5x47 and the good old 243 which provide phenominal accuracy and deliver more FT lbs with less drop/ drift than the BR.

The 6 br is excellent - but is is not perfect - that why there are so many " Improved " versions of it.

Good debate
Alan

Last edited:
Yep i will agree with you over the fact there are some great calibres out there now, (not sure the 243 fits in there though, its been a little left behind these days) the 6.5x47 Lap is a great round and would be one of my top choices if i were to go for a new custom build as would the 7mm WSM.

20TAC myself , 39grn blitzking doing 4000fps for 23.5grn of powder . puts all other fox rounds to same

got to go with this,

took a lad out last night (Deven off this forum) to test his new rifle and he had a few shots with my 20 tac,

first shot i took was a furball at 190 yards under the lamp, clean head shot leaving the rest of the meat totaly edable,

10/15 mins later Dev had taken 5 shots in succession and dropped bunnies out from 180 to 220 yards under the lamp.most i can say at this range where not in a condition fit to eat or to post pictures on here or any other site,

and to put it into his simple terms.

flipin cracking rifle bob, I love it.

DAKOTA Brass with CCI 400 Primer,23.5 gr of RL10x under a 39 gr blitz king and everything we pointed it at last night fell down.

bob.

Must....bite....tongue...

:doh:

hi marine please dont let it rip regards pete

I don't know if I can restrain myself.

" You drive a Ford to the grocery store?? You should be driving a Ferrari! I have one and it's really fast! Way faster than that piddly Ford. Ever see a Ford like that in a Grand Prix race?? No! Probably because it's just a gear-grinding commuter car. Nothing like my Ferrari! Nope. My Ferrari is the best...."

Man. How annoying would it be if I took up a crusade for every one of my pet calibers? It's too early in the morning to deal with such silliness.

For shooting vermin at practical ranges the 20 cals are fine. I don't own one but I have seen too many 300-400 yard shots made on prairiedogs to doubt it's effectiveness for open country shooting where the wind-gods laugh. Want to kill things at 200-300 yards? inexpensively? Get a 20 Tactical and reform good .223 brass. It's on my list.~Muir

View attachment 19420new 20 tac.

and this was my old one,View attachment 19421

I don't know if I can restrain myself.

" You drive a Ford to the grocery store?? You should be driving a Ferrari! I have one and it's really fast! Way faster than that piddly Ford. Ever see a Ford like that in a Grand Prix race?? No! Probably because it's just a gear-grinding commuter car. Nothing like my Ferrari! Nope. My Ferrari is the best...."

Man. How annoying would it be if I took up a crusade for every one of my pet calibers? It's too early in the morning to deal with such silliness.

For shooting vermin at practical ranges the 20 cals are fine. I don't own one but I have seen too many 300-400 yard shots made on prairiedogs to doubt it's effectiveness for open country shooting where the wind-gods laugh. Want to kill things at 200-300 yards? inexpensively? Get a 20 Tactical and reform good .223 brass. It's on my list.~Muir

love mine to death,

and its out tonight.

bob.

Last edited:
I have 1 as my main Foxing rifle - 1" groups @ 200yds with Factory 32gn Hornady - love it !

Back