when a tick bite goes bad

bobjs

hi all.

what can i put on a tick bite that the dog has scratched when the tick was killed by that action,

he scratched it and it dies in him, i then found it with the dead carcass in place and its now looking a tad red, i have removed the dead tick etc but its not clearing up as fast as i thought it would (been about 3 days now.)

cheers

bob.

Hi Bob, When I saw the title I thought you had heard about me !
Got bit in March and am still on anti-biotics, go for final (I hope) test and blood results on the 31st.
Sorry can't offer any advice ref your dog.

I used tea tree oil last time this happened to my spaniel, worked a treat, swelling and redness was gone over night, and no subsequent infection, one of natures most powerfull natural antiseptics, and it certainly works.

The big problem comes when mouthparts are left behind. Once that has happened there is very little you can do. I have found antibiotics settle things down but they frequently come back. A number of times I have had to surgically remove tissue to settle the reaction.

Ticks do secrete various compounds that reduce the level of irritation when they are attached and it is 'normal' to see more reaction when the tick has gone. If that is the case I suspect even homoeopathy would work as whatever you use the dog will get better anyway!

Lets hope you got it all out!

I was bitten 3 times a few weeks ago and i'm still itching now keeps flaring up i hate ticks :evil:

Another vote for tea tree oil , had a nasty bugger on the cat( a right battle to sort it out) but it does work wonders

Thank you All very much.

i have removed the whole lot (i think) but the smell of this off coloured watery fluid thats coming out is awful, im of to the hospital today so ill drop in somewhere and collect some tea tree oil and see what that does,

i have bathed it 2 times now and he seems to be settling down. but last night i noticed he had been itching it again and there was some blood around the area.

ill keep you posted.

regards and thanks

bob ( and cozzy)

Re. Tea Tree Oil - make sure you use fresh oil. If the bottle has been opened, or exposed to sunlight, the oil oxidises and then can cause some pretty nasty reactions in some people. Be careful about using that old bottle that has been in the bathroom cabinet for many years.

Bog Myrtle oil has pretty similar antiseptic properties to Tea Tree oil. If I was out in the hills I would rub bog myrtle leaves to give antiseptic effect.

thank you sir.

the bite has not settled down so he is off to the vets today as it has a lot of weaping from it and it stinks a bit.

he seems happy enough but just making sure he is ok,

bob.

ok lads

just an up date,

he is back in fine fettle, the t tree stuff worked well, and with some antiseptic cream hes on the mend.

i trimmed the fur back to let it air and now it has a scab on it so its mending fine.

next time ill remember the program for him and keep him topped up with it.

bob.

Hi Bob, I got the all clear last Thursday from my tic bite.
I was lucky it was recognised by the Dr so soon. I still have to go back for another blood test middle of June just to make sure.
Because of the tablets I was on, I couldn't touch alcohol or go out in strong sunlight so now I have a lot of catching up to do !!

Hi Bob, I got the all clear last Thursday from my tic bite.
I was lucky it was recognised by the Dr so soon. I still have to go back for another blood test middle of June just to make sure.
Because of the tablets I was on, I couldn't touch alcohol or go out in strong sunlight so now I have a lot of catching up to do !!

Hi Edy

i never knew you had issues mate,

my wee dog scratched one on his cheek and it died so it had disgorged back into him, and it went bad mate (really sore) poor wee burger was not to well. so i done as some of the lads on here said, i treated it with T tree oil and some antiseptic cream, seems to have worked but the hair on the area (lack of) has not yet started to grow back,

i hope you are all clear mate. and you are back on winning ways.

last outing was a wee munty (neck shot) but nothing to talk of since loosing my old truck and finding a small part time job (at least im back in work).

you take care mate

bob.

Hi Bob,
Ref post No 2 !!!
I had Lymes disease and pretty frightening it was too.
I have my final blood test on Thursday 14th.
My last check was clear so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi Bob,
Ref post No 2 !!!
I had Lymes disease and pretty frightening it was too.
I have my final blood test on Thursday 14th.
My last check was clear so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

now you mean this. :eek:

Hi Bob, When I saw the title I thought you had heard about me !
Got bit in March and am still on anti-biotics, go for final (I hope) test and blood results on the 31st.
Sorry can't offer any advice ref your dog.

now i know what you mean Edy.

well i hope you get on well mate, im waiting to here back from the surgeon ref my issues after my op. finding when i look down or try to put my chin on my chest im getting pins and needles all down my chest arms and legs, i think this is not a good sign after a spinal op.

ill keep you posted and you do like wise on your things Edy.

regards

bob.

pain in the backside as im just about to start hitting the deer hard to get some cash flow going

I had a tick bite lately that got a red circle/mark; phoned NHS 24 as the GP was closed, they asked me a thousand questions and told me not to worry. I then phoned the GP practice and told them my concerns, they basically told me to F off as they could see on their NHS records that I was told by NHS 24 not to worry but that if I was adamant I could go to boots and buy a lymes disease kit OTC.

yeah, what a health system! how my NIC do we pay again?

My red ring started out like a huge nipple, aeora I think it's called !
Then the red started fading from the inside and I ended up with a 'Bulls eye type' target ring.
After about five weeks it disappeared altogether and all I ended up with was the red spot from the tick bite and that lasted nearly three months before I picked it off and it healed over.

Bush Wear is now selling a Lymes Disease diagnostic kit for a few £s. It is not for you but for the tick! Put the tick in the tube, add the solution, colour reaction to confirm if tick is carrying Lymes or not. Will let you know how we get on testing Cumbrian ticks shortly.

I am intrigued that you can test the tick. As the bacteria resides in the tick gut with Outer Surface Protein A ( OSP A ) and only moves to the salivary glands on a blood meal where it changes to Osp C.This Osp changes continually making diagnosis hit or miss. If this test originated in the States it will only test for B burgdorferi sensu stricto, as we have at least 2 other common strains in the UK a lot of false negatives ? Sorry to be so technical but Lyme disease is too serious to ignore. Could you please post the technical instructions and background information plus makers address ? As a lot of infections are caused by seed ticks you are unaware of a bite until too late.

Back