Anyone built their own chiller for carcasses?

david1976

If you have could you please point me in the direction of some plans and info.

Coca cola fridges are at ridiculous prices just now so am contemplating building a walk in chiller instead.

cheers

david.

Friend of mine built his own chiller but it's probably a bit far away to go and have a look (Nova Scotia!) Perhaps a bit big too - it's for black bear and moose.That's bear hanging there by the way...you've never tasted anything like it!

fridge.jpg

chiller for deer

Hi
Ihave a drinks chiller that i use for roe I can get two in
It is ok but the first one i skined and then hung it and although it was okay it dried the outside of the meat. i think tahat is because it blows cold air .
I have an idea of building one in my garage and I would build it using Kingspan as insulation and use a fridge unit from a refrigerated van . The finish surfaces i intend to use the sheet pvc that is used for pvc bay windows, every thing comes in 8x4 sheets so its lego realy I know that the unit will be 12 or 24 volt but that is not a great problem.
Good luck if you are going to have a go
Chris

Re: chiller for deer

hughbarn said:
Hi
Ihave a drinks chiller that i use for roe I can get two in
It is ok but the first one i skined and then hung it and although it was okay it dried the outside of the meat. i think tahat is because it blows cold air .

For this sort of application, cold air circulation within the chiller is seen as very desirable and is a feature found on all commercial chillers & game fridges.

The problem you mention occurs to one degree or another when you hang a carcass out of its skin, whether in a chiller or not; its simply the exterior surface of the meat drying out...

From personal observation, I would say roe carcass seems to suffer worse than say Fallow, although I am not sure why. When this was discussed on here a while ago, somebody suggested putting an open containor of water in the chiller to keep the humidity up and so cut the dehydration down.

These days I hang any carcass in the skin to avoid this drying out, although the does make skinning a little bit more difficult in some respects.

I have a chiller unit for sale it came off a display chill, it blows cold air and is digitally controlled.
It will probably only be effective on a small chill, say 6x2x2, just big enough for 2 roe or one fallow.. You could utilize a defunked dairy cabinet and attach the chiller unit to the rear..

If you hang your carcasses out of the skin you need to cover them in olive oil to stop them drying out...

If anyone is interested in the chill unit then send me a p.m with an e-mail address and I will send you picture..

regards
griff

I have a chiller unit for sale it came off a display chill, it blows cold air and is digitally controlled.
It will probably only be effective on a small chill, say 6x2x2, just big enough for 2 roe or one fallow.. You could utilize a defunked dairy cabinet and attach the chiller unit to the rear..

If you hang your carcasses out of the skin you need to cover them in olive oil to stop them drying out...

If anyone is interested in the chill unit then send me a p.m with an e-mail address and I will send you picture..

regards
griff

Try Russ at Euro-Quip, he takes all sorts of fridges in part exchange. I know he currently has some glass fronted drinks fridges and some commercial ones in stainless steel. He is based in Northhamptonshire.
If he has not got anything suitable he will try and find it.
A very helpful guy.

Russ
07964 327 477

Back