Head shots on Farmed Red Deer

Jelendeer

A short video of head shot farmed deer.

Before anyone says anything, the backstops were safe!!!!!!! ........ We know because we were there!

THIS VIDEO CONTAINS IMAGES THAT SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND UPSETTING OR OFFENSIVE. If you do not wish to see animals head shot - DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO CLIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_horEGkh64

For those interested, when the second deer is shot there is a clear visible vapour trail from the bullet.

Regards,

Not really for this site Mike in my opinion head shooting is for the most experience of people who have everything at hand if things go wrong. As you will know they always do sooner or later.

Not really for this site Mike in my opinion head shooting is for the most experience of people who have everything at hand if things go wrong. As you will know they always do sooner or later.

You, and everyone else are entitled to their opinion, and so am I.

As you and many other people know, things go wrong with all shots. I think it's a matter of knowing your rifle and your capabilities.

I have met many people who are not experienced at head shooting, but have good equipment, good technique, and are able to head shoot deer as well as many who have done it for years.

My opinion.

Regards,

Ive head shot deer in the wild and the park . Got to admit I feel much safer hitting the bonce in the park. Always a back up if something went wrong with a fence to stop them getting away. Dont see the problem with putting the video on the site myself!

ATB Steve

if your confident and the gear is up to it then there's no problem head shooting.

What is it with the whole head shooting thing that people find distasteful????? ....... I must say that we don't advocate - or allow - head shooting of wild/unenclosed deer. But that's just us. Many people head shoot wild deer - that's up to them. On the other hand, we don't advocate - or allow - neck shots on ANY deer. Most people, especially newcomers, are unaware of the potential for things to go wrong with neck shots - much more than there is with head shots (IMO based on what I have witnessed)

However, I have probably seen more botched chest shots than head shots - even with the relatively large 'target' area - people habitually hit deer in the guts. So where's the difference?

The difference is (in my opinion) that people who habitually head shoot deer are without doubt amongst the most disciplined shooters. They spend a great deal of time, effort and money striving to get the best results from their ammunition, their rifle and themselves. Most of the people I know who regularly head shoot do not believe in 'margin for error', and 'near enough is not good enough'.

With modern rifles and ammunition, there is no real excuse for making bad shots. We have all had these experiences (and if you haven't already, you will at some point), and hopefully most of us have learned from them!

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people are anti-head shooting, and I do respect their views, but I don't think that we should be too critical of those guys out there who are truly excellent marksmen.

Regards,

Mike it might have been more professional had you put the video up and explained how professional you need to be to carry out head shooting and that you are doing it in an enclosed area were in the very rare case things go wrong there is no way the animal will suffer the type of death it could if in an unenclosed area. Novices look at this site and you are a respected trade member and that in my opinion means you need to lead but example.

Novices look at this site and you are a respected trade member and that in my opinion means you need to lead but example.

:tiphat: also Mike do you use the same Projectile to Head shoot your Park/Farm Deer as you use to Rib shoot wild free roaming Deer !!!!! ( and this is NOT a Dig) :thumb:

But 6pointer it's clearly in a pen. Surely people know that any wounded deer would be finished off immediately. There have been lots of posts on here about the results of poor head shooting. How many novices would think it was a good shot to take or be confident enough to take it? If there are those that do then maybe the DSC1 is a good idea for all new deer stalkers despite the resistance?

:tiphat: also Mike do you use the same Projectile to Head shoot your Park/Farm Deer as you use to Rib shoot wild free roaming Deer !!!!! ( and this is NOT a Dig) :thumb:

Hi Stalkerboydy,

The answer is yes. the rounds we use are loaded specially for us by Brock & Norris.

Regards,

If people want to take head shots at wild deer i would recommend a look on u tube plenty of videos showing how things can go wrong !

Back