Decent/ cheap .243 Factory

Peter Eaton

I am picking up Michelles .243 rifle this Friday and need to know a good/cheap .243 factory load. I am thinking 100 grain or not much lower and stoutly construsted bullet head. I know some will say go light and recommend what I might regard to be too loight/frangible bullets but that would be the last thing she would need as seeing the first Roe deer she had shot either run or get injured would dent her confidence I feel? I am getting two boxes of Remington Corelokts with the gun so other suggestions would be most wecome.

Mant thanks

Pete

Ps preferably not ballistic tips as she saw a Roe I shot with one and didnt like it.....wasted a sholuder she said lol....

Last edited:
An 80-87 grain SP would probably do wonders. You chose make etc but I understand even the plain Vanilla Remington Express 80 grain works very well on deer. Seems to shoot quite well too from my limited experience with it.

What is the rifle?

Federal Power Shok works well in most Tikkas and still in £25 per box territory. Geco is fantastic value and their 105 grain 243 load very effective.

Privi seems to be the cheapest and some people report sub MOA groups out of it.
depends what your rifle likes?

+1 on the Privi 100g, although I picked up 60rds of the Geco 105g at the weekend at a good price so looking forward to trying them out when I've finished off my Privi.

privvis in 90 grain work well for me but they are dirty barrel fowling beasts personally i use winchester 100 grain super x cheap around £25 per box

I bought some 100gn PPU to run in my new howa, it hated them shooting 3-4 inch groups time after time? changed to some 90gn PPU from a fellow club shooter on the range with me to find that shot 0.75 inch 5 shot groups time aftyer time?? only thing is it cant be used for reds etc..

+1 on the Geco ammo good value if you can find it?

Back