Zeiss Duralyt Vs S&B

palmer_mike

Has anyone got experience of Zeiss Duralyt and S&B scopes - if so how do they compare.
I'm looking at getting a scope for a new stalking rifle and have narrowed the field to either a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50, or a S&B hungarian 8 x 56. Both with 30mm tube.

Not sure which to go for but might go for the Zeiss as i am attracted by the adjustable mag (good for zeroing etc).

Hi Mike,

As you note, the Duralyt has the zoom function but invariably, a fixed power scope at the same price point as a variable will have better light transmission.
I've got the Duralyt, love it.

I'd recommend having a look through them as the reticles may be your deciding factor. Duralyt is fine and you have no options, S&B you have options.

I've got a Duralyt 3-12x50 on my rimfire and a S&B Klassic 3-12x42 on my .308 stalking rifle. The extra quality of the S&B is noticeable, just feels more robust and is a great stalking scope making a nice compact package - I'd say it has a brighter picture even with the smaller objective lens. I know you're looking at variable Zeiss vs fixed S&B, but if you do consider variable S&B scopes be aware that some have the reticle in the first focal plane whereas Duralyt is in the second. I don't have direct experience with fixed S&B, but know a couple of people that stalk with the S&B 8x56 - one loves it the other wishes he had gone for a variable! See if your local gunroom has examples and go and compare. The other option is wait until July and go to the CLA Game Fair, check each one out and haggle for a good deal!
David

Has anyone got experience of Zeiss Duralyt and S&B scopes - if so how do they compare.
I'm looking at getting a scope for a new stalking rifle and have narrowed the field to either a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50, or a S&B hungarian 8 x 56. Both with 30mm tube.

Not sure which to go for but might go for the Zeiss as i am attracted by the adjustable mag (good for zeroing etc).

Hi, i'm in kent,i have a duralyt 3x12x50 IR on my 243, if you want to make the trip over, you'd be welcome to see how it performs in low light or at night with a lamp on a few foxes.
PM me if you fancy it.

tikkat3

Hi, i'm in kent,i have a duralyt 3x12x50 IR on my 243, if you want to make the trip over, you'd be welcome to see how it performs in low light or at night with a lamp on a few foxes.
PM me if you fancy it.

tikkat3

Very kind offer - i'll send a PM.

Im with David here on the trying both before you buy, both are different animals the Zeiss has a nice thin reticule that doesnt suit all where as the S n B has quite a thick reticule that can obscure the target when on the range . Both are good in low light but obviously the Zeiss has the extra zoom ,mate I hope your happy with what ever 1 you chose:thumb:

As mentioned above, the Zeiss has a fine reticule (which I love) and covers much less of the target surface. This is a great advantage when shooting targets and zoomed in to 12x. My pal had an S&B and swore by its light gathering ability, however he sold it as it was fixed power, bought a Duralyt and likes it more.
I have had one for a couple of seasons now and it has seen a lot of shots, weather and batterings from falls and ATV's etc and has never lost zero.

I think they punch way above their weight for the price.

Cheers.
S.

Ultimately down to what suits you and your taste - I like the fine reticle on my Duralyt for small game, but the fatter reticle in the second plane on the S&B for deer is excellent in low light on a higher zoom together with the bright S&B image.
Both are exellent scopes, and as Schiehallion says, the Duralyt is exellent value for a German-made Zeiss.

i did have a s and b 8x56 and i up graded to a duralyt 3/12x50 ir, ive never looked back.

the reasons, the recticle is thiner but not to thin, handy for zeroing
the variable zoom comes in handy eg 3 to 4 zoom in woodland, 8 to 12 on fields and the open hill
the low light performance is very good and if you can afford the imm recticle model get it, as that little red dot in the middle of the cross hairs comes in handy in low light situations.

Buy the zeiss it gives you far much flexibility

ATB

Dave

I have had the S&B 8x56 Klassik and used both on my 243, I found the S&B to be a great scope for the price and was impressed with the build quality, it was great at distances over 60yds but no good at close quarters,i also found that the reticle was for me, too thick in that it covered the i" centre in of a zeroing target making it harder to get a "true group" and therefore accuratly assess home loads that i was trying to develop .
The Zeiss however is exellent from 20yds to infinity, the cross hairs only cover 8mm at 100yds, the red dot means you never loose the cross hairs in low light and in fact on either a moonlit night, over snow or on stubble i have shot foxes without the lamp on plenty of occassions. I've been able to shoot in light levels where with the naked eye it has not been possible to see the fox.
Having said the above as david say's, try both and make your own mind up, after all said and done, your eyes are the ones that'll make your mind up and no one else can do that for you ?

Tikkat3

personelly i would go with the S&B over the duralyt, does the zeiss still only come in that one awful colour?

personelly i would go with the S&B over the duralyt, does the zeiss still only come in that one awful colour?
Have you tried the duralyt? what difference does the colour make to it's performance, will a black one (or any other colour come to that) improve it's performance?

Tikkat3

Back