Old Keepers Tale Or Is It?

Gazza

Local farmer phoned me on Sunday afternoon regarding having found a fox den at the side of a silage pit. I went up Sunday evening and shot the vixen and three cubs. On Monday I was speaking to Dean (on here) and he says "they say that if you shoot the vixen and cubs the dog fox goes on the rampage". I laughed and said that this particular farm has no chickens, the lambs are now fairly big and the calves are even bigger, what is the dog fox going to rampage on.

Was back up today, sadly I had forgotten about the farm's two peacocks that are in a fairly secure pen at the back of the farm. Both dead and half eaten.

Maybe there is some truth in the old saying.

Shoot one of the feeding team and yes the pressure is on the one left. I would suggest you shoot the dog and cubs and that will help..............

Local farmer phoned me on Sunday afternoon regarding having found a fox den at the side of a silage pit. I went up Sunday evening and shot the vixen and three cubs. On Monday I was speaking to Dean (on here) and he says "they say that if you shoot the vixen and cubs the dog fox goes on the rampage". I laughed and said that this particular farm has no chickens, the lambs are now fairly big and the calves are even bigger, what is the dog fox going to rampage on.

Was back up today, sadly I had forgotten about the farm's two peacocks that are in a fairly secure pen at the back of the farm. Both dead and half eaten.

Maybe there is some truth in the old saying.

Indeed there is a bit of truth in it, same thing happens if you kill cubs but don't get the vixen, sit out at the den on the evening you get the vixen and cubs and you have a good chance of getting the dog. much more effective
if you clean up the whole family

Oh and you will be to late now the dog will have moved any remaining cubs.

Good friend of mine who doubted this theory aksed ...if you killed the vixen with your car would the dog come and slash your tyres:rofl:

your better to get the pair first , get her first , the dog wont move them , get him then the cubs . If you get the pair and dont have time to sit out for the cubs dig some rabbit cages into the mouth of the holes , little bit of rabbit for bait and their soon caught . Ive never seen one go on a spree after clearing up the litter but the old boys said they would

Certainly was my intention to clear out the lot including the dog but he never turned up. He won't be around for much longer. I just wondered if anybody else had a story around the same sort of circumstances. Is there truth in the tale?

[/QUOTE] - Oh and you will be to late now the dog will have moved any remaining cubs.

I didnt thought the dog would move the cubs?? or am i wrong?

Last edited:
I would suggest you did not kill all the cubs and the dog fox is now feeding them they also some time have a maiden vixen who will feed a lone cub.At this time of year in is not unusual to have split litters.

- Oh and you will be to late now the dog will have moved any remaining cubs.

I didnt thought the dog would move the cubs?? or am i wrong?[/QUOTE]

The dog will most certainly move them, and will feed them, if they have been weaned of course,

Have delt with several cases where the vixen has been killed and dog has moved and reared or attempted to rear the cubs.

The dog will most certainly move them, and will feed them, if they have been weaned of course,

Have delt with several cases where the vixen has been killed and dog has moved and reared or attempted to rear the cubs.

Thats good info, I was unaware that happed

Thanks.

dog will move cubs and feed them after only three weeks old seen it done, they are amazing things and there ability to survive is scary.
i have sat at an earth cleaned up all of the cubs(thought i had) and shot the vixen and waited for the dog, never seen him sat all night and first light went home came back in the evening and waited and saw nothing following day went to check some nearby holes that been checked a week before and were empty and found one loan cub sitting outside shot that and low and behold in came the dog on dark and he ended up the same as the rest of the family!
if your going to do the job do it right and commit to it, it does pay off.

I didnt thought the dog would move the cubs?? or am i wrong?

Have delt with several cases where the vixen has been killed and dog has moved and reared or attempted to rear the cubs.[/QUOTE]

i dont think they go on a rampage but you have to think that as you have shot one of the adults you have also taken out half of the feeding team and even tho 3 cubs have been shot there will more than likley be more which are growing and growing fast at that putting more pressure on the remaining dog fox forcing him to take risks such as going close to houses taking ducks, chickens or what ever he can get his jaws on such as peacocks so its not really a vengance fueled rampage just a fight for survival for him and his cubs

She will but with all moving of cubs, it depends on individual litter/parent circumstances and where the relative adult was shot in relation to where the litter are. Has the carcass been moved, has the other fox/adults been spooked; therefore making a move possible. My advice is shoot the adults asap and then the cubs will come easy. I think the general consensus is that the remaining adults/cubs go 'mad' because there is less food availability and by feeding them proportions of lead/copper, calms things down a great deal.

I didnt thought the dog would move the cubs?? or am i wrong?[/QUOTE]

I think it is possible in a few cases but on the whole no. I know that the dog will feed them but then I have only seen this when the cubs are really mobile and the fox will sort of dump the flesh somewhere in the area and in a lot of cases wont do it at all. I have heard that another vixen , a litter sister to the mother will take them on on some occasions also. As for the bit about the vixen going on the rampage after she has lost her cubs, I believe this to be true in some cases.

Mark

Back