Why is it that old Interests take hold of you again?

Simjim33

In 2007 I quit Sea Angling at that point i had 30 odd years at it and had enough.

last year The lads at work booked a trip with a local skipper Erik Elliot.

They had booked trips with every Tom, Dick and Harry, hoping I would go with them. I always said politely "No, but if you book a trip with Erik count me in" So they did. I was instantly re hooked.

Then last evening I tock my son out to a pier for a quick session before his bed. He loved it.

Has this Happened to you?

Last edited:
Yep , my mind goes in circles of farming , stalking , land rovers , cycling , gym , rugby .
One week I'm into one thing , another I'm following a different whim . Keeps life interesting :D

I think it hard not to be drawn back after 30 odd years or so to something you obviously have a passion for.

I myself was a keen trout angler years back and can reflect on many a memorable evening spent on the river.

So I wish you and the lad "Tight Lines".

Atb,Buck.

Thanks Buck.
It looks like my wife will be a fishing widow.

I must admit that it was after the fishing that stalking took my interest. Now. With making stocks taking much of the time up. The relative non expense of a couple of hours on town quay in an evening with the lad seems very tempting . When I think about it those 30 years spent hunting bass and flounder in the Solent mean I only spend about 2 hours out.

This feels like the ex you never get over.

salmon fishing January to November, trout March to October, game shooting August to January, stalking 12 months of the year...

See how they are all meant to fit nicely in and around one another? Not a single month to be bored... ;)

salmon fishing January to November, trout March to October, game shooting August to January, stalking 12 months of the year...

See how they are all meant to fit nicely in and around one another? Not a single month to be bored... ;)

spot on...now where I fit my running, mountaineering, gliding and golfing in there I have no idea...it's no wonder the Mrs is constantly p1ssed off - :rofl:

Like many on here my other interests have included salmon fishing, fly tying and various types of shooting but one particular old interest which has been reignited is ferreting.

Many things have lapsed for a while or taken a back seat as life gently meanders on but having children is a good excuse to go back to childhood pastimes and ferreting is one I'm really enioying & glad to have found again.

Tightlines slimjim :D

rb

I've shot on some nice driven game shoots, but still look back on my early years of rough shooting as some of the best sport I've enjoyed. I've got permission to shoot over a bit of land with a pond and a few thick hedges, and will put a feeder or two down in the autumn (it is not bordered by any other shoots, but there are a few pheasants about).

Like many on here my other interests have included salmon fishing, fly tying and various types of shooting but one particular old interest which has been reignited is ferreting.

Many things have lapsed for a while or taken a back seat as life gently meanders on but having children is a good excuse to go back to childhood pastimes and ferreting is one I'm really enioying & glad to have found again.

Tightlines slimjim :D

rb

You too RB

Good on you.

I miss spinning for mackeral, beach casting and flyfishing for Bass.................................that`s one of the drawbacks of living in a landlocked country. My wife keeps telling me that I cant have it all....she`s right!

had hawks and falcons for many years and was offered a gos last yr foc i just know the work they take to hunt well will tip everything over the edge but who knows when i retire i would like to rekindle the addiction. been clean now for ten yrs a few more wont hurt :D

had hawks and falcons for many years and was offered a gos last yr foc i just know the work they take to hunt well will tip everything over the edge but who knows when i retire i would like to rekindle the addiction. been clean now for ten yrs a few more wont hurt :D

That's what I thought. " I am clean" yeah right!

Never sell your fishing tackle,I do a bit of carping but like barbel fishing,avent been for 2 years but rods are set up ready to cast,all I need is a licence :D,from time to time I have a swing on the golf clubs in the back garden,I did play off 9 handicap but it did my head right in,golf really gets under your skin.....

Never sell your fishing tackle,I do a bit of carping but like barbel fishing,avent been for 2 years but rods are set up ready to cast,all I need is a licence :D,from time to time I have a swing on the golf clubs in the back garden,I did play off 9 handicap but it did my head right in,golf really gets under your skin.....

The beach stuff got sold to buy rifles. I retained the pier rods. My lad used a telescopic rod last night. The first thing he asked this morning was when are we going fishing again Daddy?

Back