Schmidt and Bender Classic 2.5-10x56 German

daw

I'm looking to get a new scope for my .308 X Bolt and am looking at the Schmidt and Bender Classic 2.5-10x56 at around £900. It will be used for deer stalking.

Has anyone got the Schmidt and Bender Classic 2.5-10x56 or is there a better value alternative out there?

Thanks David

David

I can't speak to the S&B, but Macleod's of Tain have an "as new" Zeiss Classic 3-12x56 with an illuminated reticle (40) for £960. I have a Classic 2.5-10x50 and also a Victory 2.5-10x50, both illuminated, and they are superb scopes.

They also have a "category 1" Swaro 2.5-10x56 for £860. See http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER S_H STOCK LIST.pdf

Either of these may be worth a look?

I also see a S&B 3-12x50 with a Mil-Dot reticle, though only classed as condition 7, for £595.

Having myself bought a couple of scopes and a spotting scope from Macleod's I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

willie_gunn

Hello daw, I've got that scope and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it! It's a superb bit of kit.
I'm lucky to own a couple of other 'high-end' scopes and classic 2.5-10x56 is as good as any of my others, in low light possibly better!
Hope this helps you with what is an important decision to make, I'm sure if you do decide to pick the S&B you wont regret it!

ATB Lee

Look at Khales scopes too. They are as good as the best however seem to have more modest prices. I have S&B, Zeiss and Swarovski glass and the Khales is on my main stalking rifle.

I have S&B classics and Zenith which are very good scopes. Zenith 3-12x50 is almost as heavy as my out and out tactical 6-24x56 Kahles.
My all time favourite stalking scope is a 2.5-10x50 Kaps. They look a bit like S&B classic and the Kaps factory is only 10 miles away from S&B.
That Kaps is optically much better to my eye compared to S&B. Prices are better too.
Think MM sporting has contact to them. http://www.kaps-zielfernrohre.de/en/index.php

Another tip are Zeiss Duralit that are apparently built with a lense less than the higher graded Zeiss and therefore let more light through.

edi

Thanks to all for the very helpful comments/opinions. I would have gone with the Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 but saw on this site a Swarovski Habicht PVi-2 3-12x50 second hand for £800 and got it! Arrived this morning and looks great.
I've also got a zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 which has excellent optics but doesnt look as good as more expensive scopes. I am very pleased with it.

david

Back