Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A cry for help from an S.D member

A cry for help from an S.D member

Lads, had a call from a prominant member of the forum, bit of a cry for help, it seems he almost went over to the dark side, at first he said a "mate of his" had a been sat up with his 22lr when a cub came to the sqeak,it stopped 2m from him and sat looking at him,when "his mate" raised the rifle he couldn't bring himself to shoot so let it go as "it looked so cute!" now, at this point i started to detect a quiver in his voice and realised there never was "a mate" and in fact it was the prominant member himself who'd had a momentary lapse of sanity anyway, he finally came to his senses and shot the cub as it ran away,so i recon it was a close call and can only put it down to "funny five minutes" or a "mid-life crisis" anyway the thing is, after a lot of reassurance and a bit of a pep talk, i managed to persuade him to let me post a request for advise on here as long as i don't identify him, so if any of you budding agony aunts can assist with a wise word or helpful comment, please go ahead, particularly if you can help ensure he doesn't become a tree hugging springwatch fan.

Nothing wrong with feeling a tinge of sadness for taking something's life, no matter what ceature. It is what differntiates the true sportsman/stalker, from the cold hearted killer. I had a mate that when first confronted with a young Red, didn't shoot and said, it looked so sweet. From that day on, I knew my guidence had been taken and that he would always be able to justify the shot. Glad your mate managed to shoot the fox. Mine did catch up with the young calf, and we still have a few sarcastic comments.

tikkaT3, Iam over come with emulsion... that white.. emulsion

Just happens sometimes.

I have a good friend ,with whom I have shot for over 20 yrs. He has now given it up entirley and a major part of that is because he no longer feels comfartable killing animals. I have never berated him, or indeed tried to talk him round. He knows all the arguments and I have too much respect for him to not respect his decision.
    If he comes out with me now it is with his camera.

Peoples lifes change. He is just lucky it never took hold and that he shook it off.

Writing as self rather than MO.

Duncs - well said.

TikkaT3 - a mate ( of a mate )? Ok ( would have put more O's in, but thought everyone would think I was quoting the librarian from Unseen University )

I have lost more than fair share on chickens to foxes et al. I do fall into the trap of anthropormorphising , antroformis - putting human feelings/ emotions to an animal on occasion too. But my dearest memories of a hunting life are the times I did not press the trigger - I do not regret a single one of those times.

As has been noted, being a stone killer isn't the same thing as being a hunter. Neither will ever truly understand each other and by all means let us be individuals and true to ourselves.

If it doesn't 'feel' right don't press the trigger and crucially - rejoice in that restraint.

Nowt to fix in my personal view.

You'll - er - I mean he'll be fine....
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

Just sort your life out or jump off a high bridge!
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncs View Post
    Nothing wrong with feeling a tinge of sadness for taking something's life, no matter what ceature. It is what differntiates the true sportsman/stalker, from the cold hearted killer..

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    +2 we are only human

Nothing wrong with feeling like that i'm sure we have all felt at one time or another a touch of sadness,
    Just ask Deako, we used to shoot in excess of 5000 wood pigeon's a year until he bought his african grey parrott now he won't shoot any form of bird what so ever.

In my opinion it come's down to respect of what we do if you did'nt feel like that at time's you have no respect for the quarry.

Galloway Deer Stalking

Frankly, if you don't have a moment of doubt and compassion every time you pull the trigger, then you probably shouldn't possess a gun. It's that essential humanity that distances the true hunter and outdoorsman from the cold blooded killer. A true outdoorsman loves the animals he pursues. He knows them intimately, their habits and their behaviours, and with this has to come a certain amount of respect. It's this respect that drives me to ensure that anything I slip the trigger on will die a quick, humane death that's as instant and painless as I can possibly make it.

Anyway, humans have an in built soft spot where baby animals are concerned, of any species. It's a safety mechanism that helps to protect human young, but also seems to transfer onto other species. I'm not saying that everyone has it, but it tends to be the mad ba#####s that don't have that soft streak for small cute critters.