sauer 202 or blaser r93 if you own either of these please let me have your comments

Trufflehunting

sauer 202 or blaser r93 if you own either of these please let me have your comments on yor rifles
I like the idea of being to add aditional calibre to the one rifle
How easy are the to change barrels and what is there acuracy like with factory ammo
Regards
TH

My R93 would do half inch easy with factory .243, it does better then that with the 300wm barrel. Takes about a minute to change barrels including the bolt head.
Best rifle I've ever had.
The 243 with my home loads is capable of very good accuracy. Its out once a week with me, and I have utter confidence in it.
I've not bothered to home load for the 300wm as its accurate enough for what I want, and I don't shoot that many rounds through it.

I have a sauer 202. Very easy to change barrels, couple of minutes, as well as change stocks (synthetic to wood etc). Although the preclusive thing is that you have to buy a new bolt as well as barrel and magazine to change between most of the calibres, and they are not cheap! If you are doing it properly and have quick detachable scope rings/bases and therefore a different scope with pre-zeroed to the different calibre, does make you wonder if it would be cheaper just to get a brand new rifle, like a CZ and just bring that out when you need it!

Cracking rifle though the sauer 202!

R93 in .243 and another in .308.

Plus points:
Accuracy straight out of the box - certainly better than my old Sako 75
Changing barrels (and scopes) is the work of a moment
POI doesn't seem to change, whoever is behind the trigger
Fast cycling time
Breaks down into a handy size for travelling

Minus points:
Have to full size, rather than neck size, on reloads.
Unless you are a reloading geek, you may well give up reloading given the Blasers seeming ability to shoot almost any factory ammo well
Every accessory costs an arm and a leg
Don't expect accessories built for standard QR studs to necessarily fit (Harris bipods excepted)
You'll have to ditch all your existing bolt holders
Endless quips from non-Blaser owners "oh, so you want your face mashed in when it misfires", "Blasers jam don't they", "crap plastic rifles", etc. etc.
Having to then listen to the same non-Blaser owners explain why their grouping was worse ("a gust of wind", "I pulled that shot", "the battery on my reloading scales is playing up", "of course it's zeroed for 600 yards", "it's a new moderator", etc. etc.)
Worst of all, having bought one Blaser you are likely to find yourself acquiring another...and another...

willie_gunn

If I have it correct ?? - I think Blaser now own Sauer & shifted Sauer production to their site at Isny. They have for some years, also, used Sauer barrels on Blaser rifles.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Willie missed a plus point, I'm sure just an oversight, - they're just damn good rifles.

Last edited:
I have owned both and loved using both of them. I currently have an R93 with .243 and .223 barrels. If I knew what I know now then I would go for the Sauer 202. Why? Because it's just a nicer rifle to use IMO, is it better NO, just nicer. Hope that helps.
Paul

Last edited:
I had so much trouble with my 202 foreend wood touching the ( not) free floating barrel that I sold it on Callum Ferguson's advice ( of PRS). He has had so many in for the same reason and could not resolve the issue with that design. Sauer also make the barrels for Mauser. A custom made will cost less than the top of the range but more than Sako 85.

Blaser R93 it's got to be, I've had my first one over ten years. willie_gunn is right tho i've now got three stocks and eight barrels in 22rf,223,22-250,243,6.5x55,270 and two 308's.

Have got both, had the problem with Sauer forend and solved that in about 40 minutes. Both very good, but I think the Blaser might just have the edge on calibre change as there is less mucking about with scope mounting. I put a Picatinny rail on the Sauer to make it easier but in the end just had three different calibre 202s.

I have an R93, I've played with 202s and think they are great, very smooth and feel more classy than the Blaser. I also think the 202 is a great looking rifle while the Blaser is, to be honest, a bit on the ugly side.

However, for practicality the plastic Blaser is hard to beat as it is easy to travel with, mine goes in a custom made flight case the size of a brief case and looks nothing like a rifle in transit, and when it gets wet you just pull the rifle apart, clear the water out and that's it clean in a few minutes. It also gets a good reputation for being rust proof even with people on AR who've dropped them into the sea and although willie-gunn says you need to full length size I've been neck sizing for mine for years with no problem. The only reloading problem with mine is that it shoots most factory ammo more accurately as I can possibly shoot and so reloading is nearly pointless. It is also the case that it shoots most ammo to the same point of aim - Federal Factory, my Hornaday Spire Point reloads and my Partition reloads all land in the one group.

I guess that in part it comes down to how you view your "hobby." If your hobby is "guns" then you don't want a Blaser as you don't need to change triggers, and change barrels to get it shooting right, and bed the action, and change the bolt knob and so on. However, if your hobby is stalking and you just want to pick up the rifle and get out after some deer then the Blaser makes a very efficient tool for the job.

The sauer is a great bit of kit my mentor shoots one and it handles wonderfully . It's like a custom gun in performance and feels just right !

I'm with willie gunn & caorach
I own an R93 Professional for which I have .243 & .308 barrels, same bolt, same magazine etc
It is simply amazing on factory ammo
For example, last weekend down at Bisley it put 150gr PRVI soft points, 150gr Nosler BT's in Norma factory ammo, 180gr Alaska Norma factory and 180gr Nosler Partitions from Fed Premium into a 2" circle without adjustment
The BT's hit towards the top of the circle, the heavier bullets striking in the bottom half
There is usually little or no discernible shift in POI between batches of rounds of the same weight.
Is it the best looking, best designed rifle in the world?
No!
Does it do the job in deerstalking etc?
Feck yes!
Glad I bought it?
Again, yes.

I'm a Sauer man - I have a 202 in .22-250 with a dedicated NV riflescope on top, and another in .308 with a Swaro on top. I love them both, and it broke my heart that I couldn't get (or build) a Sauer in .204R when I needed a third centrefire.

i have both 202 sauer and r93 in different calibre s. its Blaser for me as a practical weapon synthetic stock ,accuracy,and if I started with Blaser and their interchangeable barrels I probably wouldnt have bought the sauer.all done and said the sauer ,<euro lux e> with select timber is lovely to look at,accurate ,dependable,and of course well engineered.Both are smooth actions,the blaser is a shorter lenght overall and synthetic stock makes it lighter.Its a hard choice to make but the price might sway you one way or the other.

I have had a Sauer, good rifle but I now have an R8pro.
The Blaser is very accurate once it is shot in (80) rounds or so.
Strips easily for cleaning, I take the scope off every time before cleaning and it goes back to zero.
Access to the chamber and barrel is like no other.
Safe cocking mechanism. My advice would be to go and handle both rifles and see which fits you and familiarise
Yourself with the Blaser action and likewise the sauer safety release in the trigger area.

I have never shot or owned a blaser but have 2 sauer 202's in .243 and 7mm Rem Mag. The 202's are a wonderful handling rifle and I would never swap them for anything just love 'em out in the field. I personally would not ever consider a blaser as can't get my head round the straight pull. Just seems wrong to me.

Cheers

Rich

Love my Sauer, awesome piece of kit! I've tried a blaser and personally favoured the sauer, the safety sold it for me but understand its not everyone's cup of tea...

For me it has to be the Sauer, I have an Outback in .243 and it is a great rifle.

Accuracy is superb, I tend to use factory ammo and it gets on very well with 90gr Sako.

I have not had too much experience with Blaser but did find the ones I have seen to be quite noisy when cycling rounds, maybe this was down to the operator?

The Sauer is supremely smooth and the safety is second nature to use, can't recommend them highly enough.

Regards

BP

Had a Sauer for about 15 years, Like the handling and the accuracy and the fact that its taken a lot of use well.

Back