FAC and SGC Renewal... How long to wait before I complain?

BWH

I sent in my FAC and SGC for renewal on the 5th of Dec 2012 and have not got them back yet. I finally got my interview with the officer in Mid April. My licences expired on the 14th of Feb. I appreciate police forces are struggling with cuts etc, but this is ridiculous isnt it? How do I complain with out compromising my licence? Your thoughts appreciated.

Phone them and ask for a temporary fac and sgc and say because yours has expired. Insist on it as they will say no need to its fine with us etc etc. Insist and I bet you get your SGC and FAC the next week. Or put it in writing that you are applying for a temporary one. Again will work, and covering yourself for possessing firearms and shotguns without he relevant paperwork.

I sent in my FAC and SGC for renewal on the 5th of Dec 2012 and have not got them back yet.

:eek::eek::eek:

My licences expired on the 14th of Feb.

And you haven't already complained? You are in the very serious position of being in possession of firearms without lawful authority. You really need to get yourself into gear and demand either the return of the renewed certificates or, at the very least a temporary certificate. Do it in writing, registered post, keep copies and give them a time limit - 7 days or so.

How do I complain with out compromising my licence?

You will not compromise your licence or anything else by requesting that they do their job correctly and not leave you liable to presecution. If no response from the FLD then a letter to the Chief Constable A.S.A.P.

I have chased them, but not complained. My guns are at the dealers so I am not outside the law. I have asked about a temporary licence but was told that I wouldnt be able to buy ammunition. I was subsequently told by the BASC that it is expanding amunition that I cant buy only. I havent pushed for a temporary licence because this will persumably only add to the backlog, but I am now getting fed up with waiting. The next door police force in Wiltshire are dramatically quicker, I dont know why hampshire are so bad?

BWH you have been far too tollerant you should have made a formal complaint some time ago. You should certainly have obtained a temporary permit at the very least.
When my certificate was renewed in January I was informed that there was likely to be delay in processing it in spite of all the paperwork being submitted in November. I requested a temporary permit and received it a day after my certificate expired. The temporary permit was actually worded so that I could continue to use my firearms and purchase ammunition if I needed to do so, which is something that is not normally done.

I think I would be complaining formally to BASC, the FLD and the Chief Constable by now. The inefficiency of Hampshire is quite something :evil:

I think I would be complaining formally to BASC, the FLD and the Chief Constable by now. The inefficiency of Hampshire is quite something :evil:
I agree with what you say about Hampshire Police being inefficient however there are other options apart from "official" complaints which in my experience they will stubbornly resist. It can be more productive to ask your M.P. to contact the Home Office for clarification about why things are taking such an unacceptably long period of time and explain that it is putting you at risk of prosecution through no fault of your own. atb Tim

hi dont mess about make an appointment with your mp. i did this over the expanding ammo farce it worked a dream within 9 days from seeing my mp had a letter from the chief constable( yes the man at the top)to call in and expanding heads will be added to my fac and it was returned to me the following day so proves it can be done when required. renewed my fac in november expecting a visit but no it just dropped on mat one day .the firarms dpt in hampshire is not at all up to scratch.

hi dont mess about make an appointment with your mp. i did this over the expanding ammo farce it worked a dream within 9 days from seeing my mp had a letter from the chief constable( yes the man at the top)to call in and expanding heads will be added to my fac and it was returned to me the following day so proves it can be done when required. renewed my fac in november expecting a visit but no it just dropped on mat one day .the firarms dpt in hampshire is not at all up to scratch.
I agree entirely, it should not be necessary to contact M.P.'s, Home Office etc, to get Hampshire Police to perform their statutory obligations and duty of service to the shooting community in a reasonable manner, IMO there is a problem at the top somewhere, the local FEO does his very best to assist.atb Tim

As a serving cop I think you have grounds to complain. If it was me I would do it through BASC or whoever you are with. Don't dophone calls put everything in writing.

If you do make a formal complaint copy in the Chair to the police authority via his/her secretary. Contrary to what has been said previously by one site member a formal complaint does actually get things moving. Some years ago I found it necessary to make a complaint against the Superintendant with responsability for managing the firearms administration department for neglect of duty. Within two days I had two Superintendants sitting in my lounge including one from the profesional standards department and the matter was resolved within the next two days. I will say that this was done very reluctantly and after months of informal complaints by letter and even letters to the Chief Constable via his staff officer and countless telephone calls all to no avail.
If the same situation should arise again I would not hesitate to take the same action much earlier but it is unlikely to as major improvements have taken place within the firearms administration department of my local force that have resulted in a much improved level of service in recent years.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. I shall get on the case after the Bank Holiday. It is very frustrating that there are wildly different standards across different police authorities.

Thank you all for your input. I shall get on the case after the Bank Holiday. It is very frustrating that there are wildly different standards across different police authorities.

Let us know how you get on.

Well, I wrote an email on thurs to the Police Standards dept of the Hampshire force and received a response on Fri. The new sergeant in charge applogised for the delay and has reviewed my file and has printed and posted out my certificates. He has as his priority the backlog to clear and is intending to set about improving the service. So a good result. Thanks to all for the input.

Well, I wrote an email on thurs to the Police Standards dept of the Hampshire force and received a response on Fri. The new sergeant in charge applogised for the delay and has reviewed my file and has printed and posted out my certificates. He has as his priority the backlog to clear and is intending to set about improving the service. So a good result. Thanks to all for the input.
Well that is positive news, it appears that at last the Chief Constable has come to realise that there is scope for improvement in Hampshire FLD. atb Tim

Good news and well done. Sounds like things at Hampshire FLD maybe changing for the better..........

Back