Thread: 200 YRD BLOOD TRAIL !!

200 YRD BLOOD TRAIL !!

just thought i would share and experience i had this morning with a client .
    to cut a long story short .... he shot a muntjac buck in the chest , text book H/L shot ........ in no word of a lie it ran over 220 paces with 90% of its blood and lung left on the trail , into rough cover ..... we found it 20 mins stone dead ....... as you would expect !!

just interested if any one else has has a munty run that far ?
    ive shot more than my fair share of the little buggers but never seen one go that far before ........

your thoughts would be welcome

Tough little buggers aren't they? Has a smallish muntie doe run 40 metres after being squarely heart shot with 150 grains of .308 before dropping dead.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

I've had experiences like this before. I remember shooting one and it ran off as though I hadn't even hit it. I went to where it had been standing and found blood, followed it, and discovered the little blighter some 60-70 yards away. On gralloching it had no heart left at all!

If you look in the trophy room (on the 3-legged roe doe thread) you'll see a photo of a muntjac with only two legs.

I think munties are fascinating, one of the oldest deer that has barely changed since prehistoric times. Why some people call them vermin I've no idea, as the venison is delicious.

i know exactly what you are saying ....... i find them so interesting i loveto watch them from a high seat grubbing about like an old pig
    but back to the blood ....... ive had fallow and roe run 100- 150 but never 200 - 220 ...... and with 1 lung on the trail and the other smashed so pulp !!
    cheers lee

Here's one in my garden yesterday................

what a fine picture ! if that was in one of my land owners garden they would have me camped out in a tent untill i got the little blighter ....... lol i always tell the land owners i shoot more than i do, with a little fiddleing of the figures keeps them happy ......... i feel sorry for them people see them as vermin ...... i see them as one of the hardest deer in the uk to shoot and a formidable quary !!

Martin will you stop showing them steps !!!!
    soon you will have a posse of us in your bathroom/bedroom plying for a look!.I wish my suburbia had such an interesting outlook.