Edinburgh

jimo

I've never been north of the border before but we are treating ourselves to a long weekend in Edinbrugh for our silver wedding. I'm not looking for a stalk but can anyone reccomend any shops or stalking related places of interest to visit? Anywhere within a couple of hours drive would be good especially if it takes in some pleasnt countryside.

Hi Jimo

i can recommend a place just south of Edingburgh called the retreat castle or the castle retreat (google will help). its in a place called Bonnyrigg. i have used it before when ive been stalking up there. the countryside is literally over the road!!! plus its out of Edingburgh but the city is easily accessible

the bloke i use for stalking lives in Bonnyrigg..... if you change your mind!!!

I've never been north of the border before but we are treating ourselves to a long weekend in Edinbrugh for our silver wedding. I'm not looking for a stalk but can anyone reccomend any shops or stalking related places of interest to visit? Anywhere within a couple of hours drive would be good especially if it takes in some pleasnt countryside.

Take a drive to Peebles. Then head for Dawyck estate about 10mins out if the town. It has incredible gardens to walk round and the arboreta is described as being one of the best in the world. That is the estate that the sika originated from in the borders. Depending on the time of year you are planning a visit, I would almost guarantee you will see sika there if you go for a wee walk off the beaten track. (Staying to pathways of course!).

The shops in the Edinburgh area that sell stalking related gear are not that great IMO. If you wanted to spend the day away, then a drive to Tain for a visit to McLeods would be worth the trip but you are looking at 3 1/2hrs (ish). Alternatively a drive to the Scottish Deer Centre near Cupar in Fife is under an hour.

Head for Dawyck, you will enjoy it...

Agree with Jamross on his places well worth a visit. Sadly a lot of the Edinburgh gunshops/stalking related shops no longer exist. Dawyck Estate is exceptional. Borders Gunroom at St Boswells (South on the A68) is a good firearm/fishing shop but unless you are looking for something specific it's like most gunshops. Certainly not in the same league as MacLeods as far as stalking is concerned.

Head up the a9 past dunked to the house of bruar nice shop bit steep though the. Head to Blair althol castle and see the great deer heads on display and have a drive out to loch Tay or loch tunnel even drive up glen Lyon beautiful part of the world. Even visit the fish ladder at faskaly and watch the salmon leaping.

The Barbour shop on a street parallel to Princes Street has a small gun-room inside - had some fine guns when I dropped in recently and not too far off the beaten track.

Thanks for all the repiles, just what I was hoping for. We are going next weekend as the forecast for the week is bad so no shearing or haymaking. I think it will be our first weekend away from the farm for about eight years.

Back