DSLR Camera - which one to buy?

Triggermortis

I'm looking to buy the wife a good quality all round DSLR camera, nothing too flashy (pardon the pun) but never the less something half decent, around £5-600 or so, something like the Cannon EOS 600D, any advise from any of you budding photographers on here would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tikkat3

As above go for Canon or Nikkon

I myself am a Canon man, the 600D is a cracking digital SLR, you won't go wrong with that :D

As above go for Canon or Nikkon

I myself am a Canon man, the 600D is a cracking digital SLR, you won't go wrong with that :D
received mine this week.
Of course, the next question will be about what the most practical lenses!?
I look forward to the answer.....

Canon D600,D550, D1100, D60

Lenses: Efs 15 to 85 is , Ef 28 to 135 is

Zoom Ef 70 to 300 is Usm

All a good starter for most applications ,if your wife is into photography buy her a 7d or 5d or if you got the cash a 1 D mk 4 or 1 d x. The best of pro cameras .

...depends on the work they are put to, Hasselblad & Phase One is a far superior system.

Sorry to point this out hasselblad are fantastic studio cameras not for natural history photography
They would last five minutes .

Bit like optics look at what all your top naturalists are using Leica, Swarovski and zeiss ,in the pro camera world it is canon 1d or top of the range Nikon that are used in the photo journalist world quick change on lenses, easy download ,and you can buy accessories any where .

At approx £5500 for canon to £10000 for hasselblad.

I've got Canon and am sticking with them, but ... if u go down the Nikon route, they have been useing the same F-mount for decades, which means

you can pick up older lenses of any focal length very cheaply. A mate has been doing this for years and has some big lenses.

They will (usually) only work on manual with a digi body - but it will be excellent glass for a fraction of the new stuff.

received mine this week.
Of course, the next question will be about what the most practical lenses!?
I look forward to the answer.....

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

This is by far the best lens I have and the most fun to use and the best bit...its only around £100 brand new.

Fantastic for portrait shots, animals family etc, on the AV setting crank it to f/1.8 and take some portrait shots you will be very happy with the results I guarantee it.

See this You Tube clip to give some idea what i mean, there not the best photos on the clip but it gives an idea what I mean with the soft focusing but clear crisp prominent images

Have fun
SEEKER :lol:

http://youtu.be/u9wv1GNWeuM

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Nikon 1? It's very light and very fast which means that she may take it out more often than she would a big true DSLR. You can't get the big big lenses for it like you can with the others mentioned on here but I guess it depends what she wants to use it for the most. If it's closish shots that she does most of then this camera is ideal! It's in your price range too!

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

This is by far the best lens I have and the most fun to use and the best bit...its only around £100 brand new.

Fantastic for portrait shots, animals family etc, on the AV setting crank it to f/1.8 and take some portrait shots you will be very happy with the results I guarantee it.

See this You Tube clip to give some idea what i mean, there not the best photos on the clip but it gives an idea what I mean with the soft focusing but clear crisp prominent images

Have fun
SEEKER :lol:

Picked up the 'nifty fifty' as well .:D Had some good fun with it so far.
Got the 18-55mm kit lense so am pondering on something to cover longer range.
Dilema is do I double up and get an 18-135mm/270mm or something that covers the 55mm-250mm range??

Previously only had a bridge camera so am new to this.
Joined the talkphotography forum - lots of good stuff on there.

Sorry to point this out hasselblad are fantastic studio cameras not for natural history photography
They would last five minutes .

Bit like optics look at what all your top naturalists are using Leica, Swarovski and zeiss ,in the pro camera world it is canon 1d or top of the range Nikon that are used in the photo journalist world quick change on lenses, easy download ,and you can buy accessories any where .

At approx £5500 for canon to £10000 for hasselblad.

Sorry to disagree "wouldn't last five minutes" you talking out of your rear orifice my firend. I have used hasselblads in the harshest of environments both the "V" system and the "H" system and still do, limited to studio work ? You haven't got a clue. You can't make sweeping statements such as "The best of pro cameras" because it depends on the application, Canon & Nikon are used extensively in sports photography but that isn't the limit of the industry.

Now, now do not get nasty !
I have many good wildlife pictures on here taken with a humble Panasonic Lumix which would satisfy the needs of the original poster.
HWH.

Back