BEAVERS

nell

Im working in Norway at the moment,today i was down near the Swedish border,a young lad was showing me a picture of a beaver he had shot and was proudly posing with.
I mentioned that we are in the throws of reintroducing beavers into scotland,the company went quiet and then came the question WHY?????
Which i was unable to answer seriously,they all fell about laughing when i mentioned that some folks think it a good idea to have a few wolves to keep them company :lol:
It would be a good idea for the powers that be to have a trip over here and see whats happening in the real world..

NELL

Nell,
the powers that be wouldn't listen to a word, it would take a tactical nuclear explosion for them to take stock and listen to the people that its affects.
Once again a minority group that thinks they know whats best for us,sorry to inform them that we can think for ourselves...

The countryside fraternity really need to get up and smell the coffee these people are intent on ruining our land and if we sit back and allow them to do so they will..
We need a to sponsor politicians,put forward politicians,put forward for members of the council,F.C council etc.
Becuase unless we do something these minority groups will ruin our countryside our sport our heritage..

F
E
L
L

O
F
F

M
Y

SOAPBOX

Sorry.

I did see an advert to join the NRA I don't know wether or not they would fight a better fight than any of our organisations, they are extremely active in the US..
Does anyone know if the UK version is akin to the US version with their tenacity in fighting for their members.

regards
griff

We have a Tv program call Jakt och Fiske and they were eating beaver a couple of weeks ago ;)

Now tell me this after reading one of the above posts about someone eating a beaver sounds tasty the question being .

Are they on a protection list for the uk in general ,as they have not been indigenous to the country for many a year ,if they are not and we come across one can we dispatch it by what ever means at our disposal at the time ????????
I know there are captive studies going on in Scotland at this moment they have had escapees which were re captured BUT if the had not it would then be a wild species what can we do if we come across one that has escaped .
Ive only tasted the one type of beaver much the same as jingzy was on about, quit fancy a taste of the four legged variety Ive had a taste of bear, snake, seal and a few others something else try wouldn't go a miss .

They recon they taste like s..t.....

Fair bit in common i guess.. a slip of the tongue and all that :lol:

NELL

widows son said:
Now tell me this after reading one of the above posts about someone eating a beaver sounds tasty the question being .

Are they on a protection list for the uk in general ,as they have not been indigenous to the country for many a year ,if they are not and we come across one can we dispatch it by what ever means at our disposal at the time ????????
I know there are captive studies going on in Scotland at this moment they have had escapees which were re captured BUT if the had not it would then be a wild species what can we do if we come across one that has escaped .
Ive only tasted the one type of beaver much the same as jingzy was on about, quit fancy a taste of the four legged variety Ive had a taste of bear, snake, seal and a few others something else try wouldn't go a miss .

There's one loose somewhere in Devon or Cornwall. I think you are perfectly free to shoot it if you come across it somewhere you have permission but I'd have to ask why you'd want to?

I'm against introducing new species even if they were once indigenous although it is hypocritical of me to say this having shot some wild boar and enjoyed the experience.

Paul everything i shoot I eat or give away variety from the larder, the wife could do with a fur coat there on there way back, lol

When will these re-introduction eejits realise that there just aren't enough trees here. OK, give it 200 years of reafforestation we might be in the position to have a few beavers, elk and lynx...but not at the moment.

Look at countries with large biodiversities like Canada...they are covered in trees. Simple - trees first, wildlife later.

I agree but the European Beaver is apparently not as aggressive in terms of tree felling or dam building as the American Beaver.

I think reintroducing anything is a bad idea, the wolf is a particularly crazy idea but if something was introduced a few lynx might be interesting and they might be here anyway.

paul k said:
I agree but the European Beaver is apparently not as aggressive in terms of tree felling or dam building as the American Beaver.

This is what the "greenies" always claim trying to set people minds at rest and it is absolute nonsense! The european beavers try to stop any moving water so they make dams, block water inlets even try to block outlets as well as gnawing down any tree close to water. They burrow into river banks and eat vegetation and crops near to rivers. If I can work out how to upload pictures, I have some classic examples from Latvia.

Why is it every european country with beavers is so keen to export them to us?

The problem is with future control because beavers are protected by EU law. Latvia officially have 60K beavers and need to kill 20K a year to hold the population. Hunters are only killing 6K a year so the population is out of control. It is a very flat country so blocked rivers flood big areas and kill the trees in the native forest. Streams silt up with beaver dams which means fish cannot spawn. Experts reckon there are really 100K beavers!

The reason nobody shoots enough is you are only allowed to do so in daylight (EU law forbids spotlighting and effective traps) and only the old hunters eat tbeaver/ castoreum is no longer in great demand/ there is no fur market from Russia any more and shooting beavers is not great sport!

Sounds like we had this before in the Beowulf era :lol: :lol: :lol:

British beever hunting club particularly t5he well sought after greater hairy monsters ;)

paul k said:

I think reintroducing anything is a bad idea, the wolf is a particularly crazy idea but if something was introduced a few lynx might be interesting and they might be here anyway.

Paul i can assure you lynx are also a bad idea, they seem to kill roe for the fun of it over here when the snow is deep, iv'e seen a couple of dead ones, their feet are huge making it easy for them to run across the snow whilst the deer sink up to the guts.
In the summer months they slay sheep by the hundreds, if we had them in the uk we would know all about it.
Like all these big cats we supposedly wandering the countryside nobody ever mentions what they eat????
We know what farmers are like if a fox is killing a few lambs, if his ewes where being slaughtered the way these smallish cats (lynx) do he would notice :lol:

NELL

Sure is mate :lol: :lol: shall we open it????? i love the big cat debate..

I live in one of the biggest sheep production areas in the uk,and deal with farmers most of the year,at the moment there isnt a problem regarding big cats...

Over here in norway however, when the sheep go to the forest in summer they are plagued by not only lynx ,but wolves bears and wolverine.

Perhaps or big cats dont like mutton ???????

NELL

Having heard the advice I'll revert to my original stance that no animals should be released but I'm quite pleased that fallow, sika, muntjac, reds and boar got out!

There have been sheep kills in one or two places that can best be attributed to cats and those that read Sporting Rifle will have seen that under a FOI request the FC have admitted having good photo evidence of two different big cats in the Forest of Dean.

I'm going to stir things up, I think that we should have a good look at re-introduction of Lynx, I personally would like to see how wolves would fair however I don't think the UK population are inteligent enough to live alongside wolves.
As far as Beaver, go for it.
And this is all coming from a keeper!!!!!!

We can not say no to reintroductions when we release millions of asiatic gamebirds every year.

Scotland is capable of holding a healthy population of Lynx and I think that it would be a positive move.
Apart from the usual crap of they "eat all the sheep" the sea eagle project has been a major success, the money raised through eco tourism far outweighs the odd lamb.

Back