Beautiful Dumfries

Buckbones

Just spent the weekend in Dumfries making sure the flat we own and tenet were all ok. Its been 3 and a bit years since my other half moved down to Leicestershire to be with me and I've not set foot there in all that time. I used to head up there every other weekend. I always went on a Wednesday night and stalk for 2 day before sending the weekend with her.
I was in the prosess of selling my house and move up to the boarders but her job went pear shaped and move down. It was only ment for a short while.
But since then a few thing changed and still down here. Which brings me to my point. Big sky lots of green fields and trees. That was the first thing that hit me. Second I missed it. Not saying dumfries is the best place in the world but this weekend I could sell up and move back to where I should have gone 3 years ago.
The country side is stunning along with sun wind and rain. Felt at home with my Scottish wife and ween out up Maybee forest. Then we had to leave. All the way home i struggled to keep my eyes on the road. Looking for deer and checking out the land. Now in Thirsk visiting inlaws nice part of the world.
But Dumfrieshire has captured my heart again and realised it wasn't just the a woman I fell in love with.
Any one who live in this area of the world is truely blessed
A depressed stalker
Andrew

Being a city boy what always gets to me when I visit our stalking ground near Dumfries is just how dark it gets on a night, and how many stars there really are up there!! Beautiful part fo the world agreed, but is does rain alot!

Being a city boy what always gets to me when I visit our stalking ground near Dumfries is just how dark it gets on a night, and how many stars there really are up there!! Beautiful part fo the world agreed, but is does rain alot!

It's a hot spot for Stargazers Mudman and has been for many years, :http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/gallowa...targazers-boost-local-economy-51311-30984473/

but as you say does tend to get more than it's fair share of rain during the winter months.

Rgds, Buck.

Well next time I'm up I'll give you a shout.
Always up for a wonder.
Thank you for the kind offer.
Andrew

I live in northern Ireland and have been to Dumfries stalking with Colin aka Solwaystalker and I know exactly what you mean it truly is a beautiful place

Jim

I grew up there, went to away to Uni in the city but miss it now. Its an awesome place.

Yer, i'll second that. midges are hideous and even if you wear deet they just stick to your skin and still bite you to the death. just to stalk there in the summer you need to walk around dressed like a bee keeper. Lol

I lived in D&G for best part of 10 years, best place to grow up! I now live about 5 miles from Thirsk! Both D&G and NYorks are great places.. If i could find a job in D&G i would be there like a shot..

I was across there this weekend visiting friends. Stalking bucks in the early morning, mackerel fishing / potting in the late morning, bbq for the rest of the day. Midgies weren't too bad thankfully because the wind was up and about. It's a glorious place.

it is one of the best places i have seen in many a year,

and glad to say its in my home land.

bob.

ps: in case my best mates reading this: Oban is also very nice as is Balloch where we go on holiday from time to time.

I came to D&G in 1990 on my honeymoon, yes I did bring a gun, :cool: loved it up here, but it was 2004 before I got my place up here, great place to live and play but very little in well paid work, I have to travel for my job.

ATB

Tahr

PS Oh there are no deer left at all we locals have shot the lot.:D

I came to D&G in 1990 on my honeymoon, yes I did bring a gun, :cool: loved it up here, but it was 2004 before I got my place up here, great place to live and play but very little in well paid work, I have to travel for my job.

ATB

Tahr

PS Oh there are no deer left at all we locals have shot the lot.:D

Thar,
your'e dead right there,one person in particular who springs to mind...... The Dumfries Deer Assasin!! GRAEME!!!!

Thar,
your'e dead right there,one person in particular who springs to mind...... The Dumfries Deer Assasin!! GRAEME!!!!

Once he has to get a proper job like the rest of us the deer might get a chance to come out to feed safely . :lol:

As I have already said don't come to D&G as Graeme has shot them all, :stag:

ATB

Tahr

Tell Graeme that there is plenty in Mabie forest. Lol. Plus I have enough roe on my land up D&G. Keep meaning to take my fly rod and try my luck in the river at Dumfries. Is it worth a bash

NOTW, i heard this guy is so good that he gets them with a commando dagger and not a rifle, have you heard that rumour

Tell Graeme that there is plenty in Mabie forest. Lol. Plus I have enough roe on my land up D&G.

Nice little 10k trail race around Mabie forest this weekend, don't keep telling people there are lots of deer up here, they will want to come and shot them.

ATB

Tahr

Back