Anual counting of the Wild Boar

Holland&Holland

In our big hunting area in the Netherlands it is policy to do several organised countings of big game. Last week Tuesday and this Tuesday I paired up with a fellow hunter in his permission to have a look. Last time I had a blank, this Tuesday we walked up around 18.00 h to the feeding area and there where some wild boar already on the feeding area. We watched them for a little while and then pushed them off to put some maize on the feeding area in front of the high seat. We climbed onto the high seat and waited for the boar to return. Which they did, within 10 minutes they where happily feeding. The boar looked quite skinny, apart from the piglets. In front of us where 2 female with 8 piglets, 2 “uberlaufer” (first year boar) and a male keiler about 5 to 6 years old with very good tusks. But again the keiler was small in body.
They stood feeding for an hour and a half. When the maize was finished they slowly took off into the woods.
When we went back to our meeting point we passed a wheat field espacially for game cover. On the 10 hectare field stood around 65 wild boar, sows with piglets, uberlaufer, keiler, quite a nice sight.:D
In total within the hunting area we counted around 930 wild boar. 70 of them where keilers.

Hi Wayne,

No the pictures are not at Charly's permission. But his permission is in the same area. We will get a culling plan from the council this year to shoot about 600 wild boar as the amount of wild boar set is 300 this year due to the bad food and body conditions. I am sure you and Andy are very welcome to come over to Charly's and have another go. Just give me a ring and we set some dates.

Hi Wayne,

No the pictures are not at Charly's permission. But his permission is in the same area. We will get a culling plan from the council this year to shoot about 600 wild boar as the amount of wild boar set is 300 this year due to the bad food and body conditions. I am sure you and Andy are very welcome to come over to Charly's and have another go. Just give me a ring and we set some dates.

Hi Ruud
I wasn't hinting :D thanks for the kind offer, would be great to see all you guys again but might struggle this year, I'll give you a ring anyway for a chat.

speak soon

Wayne

Hi Ruud,

Nice photos! Sounds very proffesional and organised where you are hunting. What part of Holland is that?

Is that the place where there is a visitors centre on the site of the old hunting park for the Dutch royal family is, not far from Apeldoorn?

Is that the place where there is a visitors centre on the site of the old hunting park for the Dutch royal family is, not far from Apeldoorn?

That is also called the Veluwe but the part you mention is too far north from where I am.
The place you mention has wild boar and deer in a small fenced area to have tourists visiting have a look at wild life.
If you ever visit the Netherlands and want to see proper ;) wildlife (esp Wild Boar) give me a PM and i might arrange something.

Hi Wayne,
We will get a culling plan from the council this year to shoot about 600 wild boar as the amount of wild boar set is 300 this year due to the bad food and body conditions.

Kill 600 wild boar, that will keep you busy! :D I wish they would hurry up and cross over the border from Sweden to Norway.

Looks like a great bit bit of land Ruud, looking forward to hear about the culling and seeing the pics.

600 wild boar uhmmm!!!! that will save the farmers a lot of diesel as they will get all the ploughing done for free.
Martin.

Back