7mm Rem Mag

ytene

Any users on the Forum...good and bad info about the calibre would be greatly appreciated...I am wishing to use it for long range reds on the hill, and in the West...ranges 300yds +...Many Thanks, Tony

Hi tony at last aome one with taste and got a 7mm rem mag. its my first choise calibre for big reds, you got a few options here mate on what bullets to use all depending on the twist of your barrel and barrel length.

Regards james

Hi Tony, its a great choice, i have had most calibres but i love the 7mm, mine is a 30" barrelled custom that weighs close to 20lb but what a tool! The Reds dont like em thats for sure. I shoot 162gr heads through it and it hits very hard. My longest kill was witnessed by my friend (a member on here) and lasered with both a leica and a swaro rangefinders and it was 810 yards! You will love it, i personally would'nt drop below a 26" barrel to get the best from it.

I also use 162 grain heads aswell as 168 grain heads mines a 26inch barrel and im getting 3100fps with them, they dont half hit hard they knock the deer straight off there feet.

Hi Guys..super feedback and very reassurring ! Have put a deposit on a Browning X Bolt..that alone was a culture shift as I use a Sauer 202(243 )and a Sako 75 Stainless (308) ,but it is as new and lightly used...I was very impressed with some of the American/Australian You Tube calibre tests,with this rifle...I believe it is 26" , 1 in 10 twist but I stand to be corrected...:tiphat: Cheers,Tony

Hi Tony, its a great choice, i have had most calibres but i love the 7mm, mine is a 30" barrelled custom that weighs close to 20lb but what a tool! The Reds dont like em thats for sure. I shoot 162gr heads through it and it hits very hard. My longest kill was witnessed by my friend (a member on here) and lasered with both a leica and a swaro rangefinders and it was 810 yards! You will love it, i personally would'nt drop below a 26" barrel to get the best from it.
I think you may need a tin hat with that comment, o.k. on paper but on deer, had to be an amount of luck as well. deerwarden

batleyhunter, what powder and charge weight are you using if you dont mind me asking

Last edited:
Sit back and wait for the distance police to arrive.

I think perhaps you all need to slow down and READ the post, no one mentioned a deer???? And stalkerboydy, if i needed to shoot a deer at 400 yards i will bet you a months wages i could shoot that deer as well at that distance with my rifle as 99% of the people who are knocking me could at 100 yards! The dsc test is 3 shots inside a 4" circle at 100 yards, i would feel very, very confident at putting 3 shots in that at the 400 yards you mention. It really ****es me off when anyone mentions a long shot and everyone on here assumes that the person in question is a cowboy and would definately wound it! I have shot over 1000 deer now and only ever lost about half a dozen and every one of those was inside 200 yards mainly when i was younger and got a bit excited. Do not judge peoples ability on your own experience.

Last edited:
Tony

I have had a 7 mag for the last 12 years and finally, 3 years ago settled on a custom job using it for exactly what you have in mind. Mine is built on a Stiller action, Border fluted 9 twist, Rem light varmint profile, finished at 25" and bedded into a McM M40 HTG.

I load develop at 300 yards these days and my last 6 groups at this range have averaged .355 MOA. Note that is an average. All shot though on completely still days.

I am a big fan of the 7 Mag and even though there are more fashionable cartridges available, the 7 mag still holds it's own and does everything I ask.

I also would like to say I have come across numerous users of the X bolt and haven't come across one that hasn't shot lights out. My theory is the QC is superior in Japan than elsewhere but this is only a theory of mine. Whatever it is down to they seem to be an inherently accurate out of the box rifle.

Just to summarise the 7 mag loaded with the right bullet is a super long range machine and is capable of stellar accuracy.

Good choice.

Last edited:
Owned and used a 7mm RM for over 30 years! I have others in the safe but the 7mm is the fave and the 'go to rifle' most times.

Oh yes and i use 150 Winchester factory ammo and have done for 99% of those years.

I recently bought a Sako Finnbear new (or as new) in its original box in 7mm Rem Mag for a song at auction.
At the same auction I got 200 x .264 Mag Sako rounds. I pulled the ammo and use the bullets in my sporterized Swede and used the powder (equivalent to Viht 160) in the cases necked up to 7mm and using Hornady SP bullets around 150gr,
Very accurate load and very powerful.
I'm delighted with the rifle and it will sit in my cabinet next to its sister - another Finnbear in .270

I think perhaps you all need to slow down and READ the post, no one mentioned a deer???? And stalkerboydy, if i needed to shoot a deer at 400 yards i will bet you a months wages i could shoot that deer as well at that distance with my rifle as 99% of the people who are knocking me could at 100 yards!

AND !!!!!!!!!!!! 1000 Deer woopy do nothing but a mere beginer then oh and i shoot a .300 Win -Mag so what !!!!!! as for the 7mm Mag i shot with someone for 5+yrs culling Deer so may i say pick your Dummy up or is it still on the .204 thread :rofl: there i am sure PLENTY of Gentlemen on here shot far far more Deer than you ( oooops im one ) but DONT go bragging about it every chance they get or how good a shot they are Have a nice evening and enjoy you Rifle shooting :lol: :D

It was not bragging it was just about trying to put across the fact that i am an experienced stalker and i dont need you trying to put me and batleyhunter down! I dont know you or give a **** about you so stop knocking people on this site for the way they go about their stalking activities, after all we are all different. I am afraid this site seems to have some genuine people on here that are here to learn and give advice to try and help others (we are all still learning however good you think you are) but far more tits that seem to enjoy putting people down. This thread was started by someone just asking for advice from people who have experience with 7mm Rem Mags then along comes you trying to knock batleyhunter and i for our genuine comments, you must be so proud? I hope you feel a real sense of achievement. Anyway i am sure people dont want to read this so i wont be bothering with your pi**ing contest anymore.

Last edited:
It was not bragging it was just about trying to put across the fact that i am an experienced stalker and i dont need you trying to put me and batleyhunter down! I dont know you or give a **** about you so stop knocking people on this site for the way they go about their stalking activities, after all we are all different. I am afraid this site seems to have some genuine people on here that are here to learn and give advice to try and help others (we are all still learning however good you think you are) but far more tits that seem to enjoy putting people down. This thread was started by someone just asking for advice from people who have experience with 7mm Rem Mags then along comes you trying to knock batleyhunter and i for our genuine comments, you must be so proud? I hope you feel a real sense of achievement. Anyway i am sure people dont want to read this so i wont be bothering with your pi**ing contest anymore.

:dummy: :scared: :rofl:

810yd shot easily possible,until you shoot at 600yds plus you have no ideal how capable you and your rifle can be,600yds is a doodle,1000yds is a different story especially when the wind gets up,with the set up rpa 6mm br got is awesome machine,probably capable of 1 mile accuracy.

810yd shot easily possible,until you shoot at 600yds plus you have no ideal how capable you and your rifle can be,600yds is a doodle,1000yds is a different story especially when the wind gets up,with the set up rpa 6mm br got is awesome machine,probably capable of 1 mile accuracy.

Thank you Swarovski, at last a sensible SD member! I totally agree with you 600 yards is a whole different ball game to 1000! It was also a shot that i would probably not have been able to repeat due to slight wind change ect but i got it right at the time and it was witnessed. The set up is to be honest probably well over the top for 90% of stalking and would be well at home on the F-Class field but when you do need to reach out you can. I never started any bragging in this thread and it just seems that perhaps Stalkerboydy is a little insecure.

Back