Off road tyres

Stringer

The tyres on my L200 are due for renewal and I'm looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help.

At the moment I am running on the standard tyres that come with the truck (245/65R x 17) but they are pretty useless off road therefore I am considering putting some off road tyres on. I dont do a huge amount off road but have almost been stuck a couple of times recently and want the best possible off road performance but dont want to be deafened by road noise either. I have a set of steel 16" rims with new road tyres that I could pop on if I'm going any distance. I have a couple of questions that I need to ask before I make a descision,

- How bad is the road noise from Mud terrains compared to All terrrains?
- What profile/width combination would you recommend? I assume the wheel is a limiting factor where width is concerned.
-Where is the best place for a deal?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

i have got bf goodrich all terrains on my hilux and they are good,not been doing anything serious but where i have been they are sound,not a problem with noise,and no worries on a run like being in a car.where are you i got mine from a place in buxton he was really good on price.

have them on my landrover they have done 60,000 miles and i will get to the winter out of them .
i would put noting else on a working 4x4.
i have used trackedge before them in 12 years of using bf goodridge i have not burst of punctured a Tyre .

Another vote for bf goodrich, done over 35k and still loads of tread left, noise is ok on the road and they do the job off road.
cheers
richard

I've used BF Goodrich All Terrains on hiluxes for about 5 years now, brilliant tyres, they're pretty good off road and not too noisy on the road. We used to do around 50,000 miles a year delivering fish and still needed decent tyres to access the lakeside, we used to nearly get 2 years out of them but not quite. I now run a transit which does a similar job but vans are awful off road so I put cooper STs on the back which has made it a lot better, again no real noise on the road but much better off road than a normal transit, had about 50,000 miles out of them so far and theres plenty of tread left yet.

tyres

I have a Navara , 17" wheels. had a lot of trouble getting an off road tyre to fit 17" . Loads of stuff for 15" and 16" ..
Had to settle for 155x65x17 Cooper ATR ...
Must say not a bad tyre off road , big chunky tread and seem to be hard wearing,, little to no road noise , and best tyre i have ever used on snow , you just drive as if there was no snow... I've never been stuck yet have them on a year now and i be in some crazy places....
not badly priced rubber either..
hope you get sorted..

Re: tyres

McStalk said:
I have a Navara , 17" wheels. had a lot of trouble getting an off road tyre to fit 17" . Loads of stuff for 15" and 16" ..
Had to settle for 155x65x17 Cooper ATR ...
Must say not a bad tyre off road , big chunky tread and seem to be hard wearing,, little to no road noise , and best tyre i have ever used on snow , you just drive as if there was no snow... I've never been stuck yet have them on a year now and i be in some crazy places....
not badly priced rubber either..
hope you get sorted..

Yes, Ive found that thers a lack of 17" off road tyres,

What's everyones prefered width& profile

Thanks for the replies folks

I originally wanted BF Goodrich AT's for my Pajero but couldn't find them anywhere at the time, there was some kind of stock shortage for some reason. I ended up putting on General Grabber AT2's which were a bit cheaper and they are great. Handle well on road, no road noise and grip well off road. The tread pattern actually looks almost identical to the BFG's.

They apparently don't wear so well as the BFG's though so time will tell whether the saving was worth it in the long run, but they do the job as far as I am concerned.

On my old landy I never put good tyres on it had to many disasters ,I use to use remoulds at £17.00 a corner from Viking tyres in Glasgow, they were hard wearing the best buy in tyres i ever got and they lasted longer than all the good quality tyres, and never had me in tears when i bought them .

Stringer - I run mud terrains on my SWB trooper and they are fantastic off road - seriously amazing what they will do compared to standard road tyres or even all terrains. However, they are a bit noisy on the road and they do squirm a bit under hard braking/corning due to the size/shape of the tread blocks. My trooper only really gets used for shooting/stalking/picking up though, so road manners aren't high on my list of priorities. If they were then I'd def go BFG ATs.

As for profile - two schools of thought: narrow and cut through the mud to something solid or wide and sit on top without sinking. Depends a lot on your ground but I know a lot of keepers on moorland go wide, whereas I went for narrower due to the type of muddy lowland ground I'm driving on. You may also be restricted by the vehicle - go too wide and they'll rub on the wheel arches at full lock.

Anybody bought from a co called Tyremonkey on line?

Will be in the market shortly - got stuck a few times over the winter with the disco on road tyres.

Tyres

Hi Stephen
BFG don't do a tyre in the same size as the originals on the L200, I think you have to change to something like a 265/70/17 but then you have to change the spare aswell :cry:

I've had BFG A/Ts on my old Navara and Shogun before that, excellent tyre.

I'm trying to build up the enthusiasm and money to change to BFG's on my L200
don't think you will get a lot of change out of £700 for 5 :cry: :cry:

Wayne

i have khumo mud terrains on my defender 90 which were £70 each fitted, not balanced and i can quite hoinestly say that i cant hear a thing in that old bus let alone any road noise :rolleyes: (the tyres seem pretty good though - the tyre place use them on their fleet of tractor tyre changing hilux's which have to go anywhere and do lots of road miles - no noise complaints from them)

i'm picking up a l200 at the end of the month which has BFG AT's on it and i know i wont be able to take it to all the places that the landy can get me in and out of, but it has heating, leather seats and a passenger footwell that wont destroy my nice new laminated stock :D

Hello Stephen,

Under normal circumstances I would recommend the BFG AT's, I have used thrm for years on Land Rover's, Troopers and Jeeps. A couple of months back I needed some new tyres and rather than Take out a mortgage I deviated from BFG's. I got some of these

NewTyre.jpg

Hercules by name and so far doing pretty good. Well mannered on road, excellent off road and substantially cheaper than the BFG's. They remind me of the old Trac Edge from BFG and they were good.

I bet you are changing your mind every five minutes.

John

JAYB said:
I bet you are changing your mind every five minutes.

John

Its more difficult than choosing the truck when I bought it :rolleyes: :lol: Never thought it would be so hard to buy effin. tyres

Does anyone have any idea how wide you can go on a new shape L200 animal? The overwhelming response from this and other sites is BFG but apparently they dont do them in 245.

Don't forget if you change the tyre size from the original specs you have to tell your insurance company, and God forbid if a claim ever arose and they had no knowledge of your modification,the tyres, it is a reason for them not to pay out.

Just before Christmas I changed over to the NFU, everything, both cars and the house insurance. Now I have a 2" body lift on my car and larger than spec tyres, my previous lot charged me £45 extra for the body lift, thankfully I got the tyres after I changed companies otherwise I am sure they would have stung me. The NFU? nothing extra charged, plus you get trailer insurance for free and the big plus is you phone up and talk to a real person, not a series of number choices followed by a visiit to a far flung call centre. Best insurace move I have ever made.

John

I have a Nissan Pathfinder SVE. 255/65/R17 is the tyre size and I have been quoted £840 fitted for BFG AT's or General Grabber AT's for £440 fitted. Going to go with the Generals due to them being half the price of the BFG's and also I have read that with the BFG's lasting so long it is because they have hard compund and could make them less grippy than the Generals in the wet.

cheers

Stu

Right fella's I'm in, what can I get to put on my Vitara? When I needed them I couldn't find a BFG to fit :oops: so whats out there?

Sorry Stringer don't mean to hijack your thread ;)

stuey said:
I have a Nissan Pathfinder SVE. 255/65/R17 is the tyre size and I have been quoted £840 fitted for BFG AT's or General Grabber AT's for £440 fitted. Going to go with the Generals due to them being half the price of the BFG's and also I have read that with the BFG's lasting so long it is because they have hard compund and could make them less grippy than the Generals in the wet.

cheers

Stu

See the price,hey you're doing well! : http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=tyres&rim=R17&profile=255/65

Back