Advice sought on drying hazel sticks.

basil

Distinguished Member
I`ve cut a few hazel sticks to have a go at mounting some antlers on them.
Does anyone know if i can hang them by the smaller end?
By this i mean screw a small eye in the end and hang them in the shed, heavy end down.
It`s just a thought, this way i can have them up out the way in the shed.
Apparently they shouldn`t be laid down in the loft.
Thanks.
basil.

I've dried sticks before by whipping them to the rafters/trusses in the shed to keep them straight as they dry. It's ok for a few sticks, hope its of some help.

Regards

Ben

Basil

You can hang them from one end - try using a loop of string rather than a screw.

Ideally, cover the cut ends with a coat of paint to stop woodworm and then leave them in the loft/garage for a year to season.

I lay my shanks down horizontally, using three large hooks from the ceiling to suspend them and allow the air to circulate. They say this can put a bow in them, but I've not noticed.

willie_gunn

sticks

Basil
if you support them in the middle as well as both ends they will not bow
or if you bundle 5 or 6 together they will support each other
then hang them from the rafters
JayJay

Picture424.jpg

Bend your stick over your knee to straighten them same as a plumber does by the time there dry enough to work with 12 to 18 months they'll be like a snooker cue .

The pic shows a bending jig for taking out stuborn bends ,you put the stick through the hole and tie it or weigh it down ,and leave it for a while .

To bend a crook in the top of it steam it for a while put it in the form and bend it round the form slowly if it starts to crack you need more steam

Cracking stuff Grommit !
I often wondered how you got he wood to bend , I submerged a bundle of mixed sticks in a old bath for 2 weeks then bundled and weighed them down. A year they laid drying out, Then I came home one night to find my Springer Teal at the time had nagged the bits out of em , teethmarks from top to bottom!!!I still have a short thumbstick nowt fancy , but I have had it since 82 so it is part of me , sounds stupid just a piece of stick! but I would be gutted if ever I lost it . I am dabbling with the dark arts at the moment and find it fascinating . For now I am sticking to straight sticks .
cheers Trapper

Cracking stuff Grommit !
I often wondered how you got he wood to bend , I submerged a bundle of mixed sticks in a old bath for 2 weeks then bundled and weighed them down. A year they laid drying out, Then I came home one night to find my Springer Teal at the time had nagged the bits out of em , teethmarks from top to bottom!!!I still have a short thumbstick nowt fancy , but I have had it since 82 so it is part of me , sounds stupid just a piece of stick! but I would be gutted if ever I lost it . I am dabbling with the dark arts at the moment and find it fascinating . For now I am sticking to straight sticks .
cheers Trapper

Willie :The only problem with the hot air gun is ,if there is still bark on the stick it tend to peel away, with the intense heat, its ok on the like of peeled, fruit woods, ash and rowans that can have a nice grain effect to them .
Ive worked with all sorts of woods ,horns and antlers by far the best to work with and the most forgiving is Buffalo horn or Cow horn, Tup or Rams horn leaves an excellent product ,getting stuff of good quality is another thing .

Willie :The only problem with the hot air gun is ,if there is still bark on the stick it tend to peel away, with the intense heat, its ok on the like of peeled, fruit woods, ash and rowans that can have a nice grain effect to them .
Ive worked with all sorts of woods ,horns and antlers by far the best to work with and the most forgiving is Buffalo horn or Cow horn, Tup or Rams horn leaves an excellent product ,getting stuff of good quality is another thing .

widows son

Thanks for that tip - mostly the shanks I have used have been regular hazel and chestnut, with a couple of bits of holly, so nothing I'd have been too concerned about if it had scorched (though fortunately it hasn't yet!).

willie_gunn

Back