who uses a 20 tac.

bobjs

got some problems with the new Dakota brass ?

anyone else use a 20 tac.

thank you

bob.

Hi Bud.

I found this new batch are tight to fit into the shell holder before i have even fired them, so i have used 50 rounds in the last few weeks and i full sized them tonight ready to reload the same batch for my next session,

and they are a tad tighter/harder to get into the shell holder.

all my last batch where fine up to and including 5 reloads??

bob.s

same problem here shellholder in autoprimer very tight to insert and extract after priming i am using a 223 shellholder as my box dosent contain one for .20
and as the tac is supposed to be a necked down 223 i thought it should be easy but they are a pain to get out the primer very very tight

same problem here shellholder in autoprimer very tight to insert and extract after priming i am using a 223 shellholder as my box dosent contain one for .20
and as the tac is supposed to be a necked down 223 i thought it should be easy but they are a pain to get out the primer very very tight

i have sent a mail to Lapua finland/ USA, but i wish i had checked a few cases out first (size wise that is.

ill let you know what i get back from them.

bob.

Last edited:
You have no doubt covered this Bob, but have you taken a cloth and something like a bent paper clip and cleaned the inside rim of the shellholder.

I have had 200 Dakota with no issues but they are a 'firm' fit.

Peter

pete these are worse than firm got too really pull hard to get them out the primer starting to take little nicks out of the case rim

pete these are worse than firm got too really pull hard to get them out the primer starting to take little nicks out of the case rim

Hm... that is interesting Dave. I am also using a 223 shellholder (Lee #4) and compared to you and Bob, mine seem fine - last purchase of brass was in November last year from Reloading Solutions. I have measured with a vernier across the rim of both new and several times fired and I constantly get a reading of .3765". Sounds like some of the new stuff is well in excess of that measurement.

I have also checked my reloading books (a bit out of date for the Tac) on the 223 (same base dimensions as the Tac} and both say .378", so perhaps you and Bob can let us have the dimensions on cases that you are having difficulty with.

Peter

pete
i got same readings as you on the vernier also tried some fired and unfired 223 brass they go in easy but the 20 cal dakota is a night mare i had a good look at the shell
holder and the rims of 223 and 20cal cases i think there is a diffence in them will try to post a photo but my laptop down using jaynes at moment i am convinced
that the shell holder dosent like the 20 cal brass it catches in the first bit of the jaw on trying to push it in then catches again on the way out so bad that thay have to
be pulled out with considerable force i think bob is getting same problem

I'm not trying to take the **** out of anyone here, but:

Why are you paying for .20 Tactical brass? This cartridge was specifically designed to be formed from cheap, easily obtainable .223 brass. For what is being shelled out for Dakota brass, a form die could be had, and pay for itself in the first few hundred cases.

I understand the desire for "vanity" brass, but there comes (in my mind) a point where the threshold of common sense is crossed. IMI and Lapua make very very nice .223 cases. I know Mil-Surp LC brass is next to impossible to get in the UK, but egads, I cringe when I hear about folks buying pricey brass and having more problems with it than those of us just forming it from bulk brass.

Perhaps it's just my perspective, being in the US(?). I have yet to pay anything for 20 Tactical brass, as I pick up LC brass off the military ranges I frequent, so maybe that's skewing my perspective as well...

In a nutshell Marine the price difference between 20 Tac Dakota and 223 Lapau is negligible. Not taking the p**s either, but pop over here to the UK and feast your eyes on reloading gear in any good reloading shop - I guarantee you will think you have walked thirty years into the future price wise. You dont know how lucky you are price wise and the legalities of what firearms you can hold - Ah....... but then I can console myself when I look at my three suppressors !! lol

pmi
thats interesting as lapua dakota brass seems to be the only source for 20 tac over here i would be interested in learning about forming brass from 223 as i got about 350 cases here to get rid off
not heard of forming dies here yet but maybe some one with the knowledge could chime in c'mon pete

pmi
thats interesting as lapua dakota brass seems to be the only source for 20 tac over here i would be interested in learning about forming brass from 223 as i got about 350 cases here to get rid off
not heard of forming dies here yet but maybe some one with the knowledge could chime in c'mon pete

Hey Dave - you asked me a few questions but that was one you forgot !!lol. Actually all that is needed is a 223 F/L die , a 20 Tac Forming Die and of course your 20 Tac F/L die - and dont forget the lube!!

On the shellholder front Dave, I have a spare RCBS #10 (for the 223) you are welcome to it if it makes a difference - think I still have your address.

Peter

ah a 20 tac forming die who sells them pete all i got is a bump die and redding 20tac dies sold my 223 reloading dies i think that bob is using R C B S and having same probs lol

ah a 20 tac forming die who sells them pete all i got is a bump die and redding 20tac dies sold my 223 reloading dies i think that bob is using R C B S and having same probs lol

Midway sell them see:

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midw...rackGUID=4FD7B887-57D6-1912-87A2-0A0A0511042A

That will give Marine something to laugh at. Reloading Solutions probably sell them also - your choice money wise ! But who knows, may be worth the outlay especially if your 223 brass is only once fired Lapua

Offer still stands re the RCBS #10 Shellholder - with my 20 and 223 cases - very silky smooth

Midway sell them see:

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midw...rackGUID=4FD7B887-57D6-1912-87A2-0A0A0511042A

That will give Marine something to laugh at. Reloading Solutions probably sell them also - your choice money wise ! But who knows, may be worth the outlay especially if your 223 brass is only once fired Lapua

Offer still stands re the RCBS #10 Shellholder - with my 20 and 223 cases - very silky smooth
thanks pete the price is fearsome but i got 70 odd unfired lapua 223 cases here so might be worth the money ok i will try the shell holder if you would be kind enough to loan it me i will send it back pronto ....thanks pete

Back