9.3x62 brass

stalkinginengland

I am having a terrible job getting hold of 9.3x62 brass, any chance that anyone knows of a supplier of Hornady in the UK or at least anyone who can get this brass consistantly in another make. I phoned Henry Kranks today and the chap I talked to said that it is an obsolete calibre and they dont stock it:doh:

Any ideas with out going to the states?

Any help would be good.

Mark

Well, over here sur la continent, RWS and Norrma are the brands of choice for components and loaded rounds. Sorry I can't be more help for the UK market...

Try wilson & wilson they carry a lot of brass in stock and they tend to be good on price and postage or reloading solutions they maybe able to help you?.

Bob

McAVOY Guns show Hornady and Sellier & Bellot brass in stock in 9.3x62 at quite good prices. I bought some loaded S&B ammo which worked out not much more than 'roll your own' in order to get a supply of brass. I also got 100 Lapua cases when I took delivery of the rifle which were an arm and a leg.

Henry Krank stock calibres which are much more obsolete that 9.3x62 which seems to rightly be making a comeback/appearance in this country. I too cannot beleive they don't stock ammo and components in 9.3x62. Graff and Sons in America sell 9.3x62 Privi brass but am not sure if they are able to ship to the UK.

By the way I have found the S&B 286gr soft points to be very good value and extremely effective on boar, deer and foxes if you are looking for bullets.

Hope this helps.

Got some:D tried everything I could think of on google and then found Reloading Solutions. The chap was very helpful and I caugth him before he shut up shop at 9.45 tonight. Took all my details and they will be in the post in the morning.

Anyone else heard of them? He told me he had been going since 1997 but I have never heard of them. Still his website is very temporary so i wonder if he is new to that type of thing, says he will have a new one go live very shortly.

We shall see. Thanks for all the help anyway.

Mark

Obsolete - my arse, says a lot about a company doesn't it. It's a very popular cartridge in Europe but for some reason we seem to be fixated with American cartridges in this country.

Have a look on www.egun.de you will normally find both new cases and once fired cases. Once fired cases can be had for very little cost, this is where I normally source 9.3x74r and 8x57jrs cases.

Reloading solutions has a very good reputation and has been around for a number of years now, I am surprised you haven't heard of them. If anyone in the U.K. can get cases for you it will be them.

Last edited:
Owing to what I have in my die collection, I'd anneal them, neck them to 375, and then back to .366" headspacing them exactly to my rifle.~Muir

Muir is correct they are only a 30-06 case necked up but you would have to do it in a couple of stages

:rofl: Love it a cartridge which pre-dates the Us .30 Springfield aka 30-06 is mearly a necked down version of a case that did not exist at the time. 2 seconds on google provides the 9.3x62 introduction as 1905 of course the .30-06 came along a year later.

One might say the 9.3x62 may be a necked down and shortened 30-03 but I wonder how many have even heard of the cartridge ? This was the original cartridge for teh 1903 Springfield rifle and the one based upon the Mauser case after the poor showing of the 30-40 in the Spanish-American war where the Cubans used the fairly new 7mm Mauser in the Model 1892 rifle to such good effect.

When I set out to buy a 9.3x62 rifle I too looked into converting 30.06 cases using the dies RCBS make for this purpose. After Googling the subject I chose the factory brass route. I was led to believe there are minor dimensional differences, the base being one, probably so small as to make no practical difference.

I am sure that Muir and Sikadog are right that 30.06 cases can be converted but I personally felt more confident buying factory fodder but as I say it was a personal decision. Which ever route you go down I am sure you will end up with safe ammo in a great calibre.

I have heard good things about Reloading Solutions but like you find their website none too helpful.

Can you not make them from 30-06 and save the chasing around??~Muir

It's not worth the effort Muir as 9.3x62 are readily available as long as you know where to look. The problem is that the cartridge up until recently hasn't been used much in the U.K. but if you look to Europe its a very common and readily available cartridge. The cost of buying .30-06 cases and then the necessary tools doesn't make it very cost effective. Then you could also face the possible problem of taking cartridges into France whose headstamps indicate that they are a military cartridge and therefore currently illegal for hunting.

I am having a terrible job getting hold of 9.3x62 brass, any chance that anyone knows of a supplier of Hornady in the UK or at least anyone who can get this brass consistantly in another make. I phoned Henry Kranks today and the chap I talked to said that it is an obsolete calibre and they dont stock it:doh:

Any ideas with out going to the states?

Any help would be good.

Mark

It doesn't sound as if Mark is finding the 9.3x62 "common" in the UK. I'll bet 30-06 is pretty common.

I do quite a bit of cartridge case reforming and the dimensional differences between the 9,3 and the 30-06 at the head and rim are so small that they would be swallowed up by the normal variations in chamber dimensions found between individual rifles. 9.3x62 shooters here in the US commonly use 30-06 for this brass.~Muir

:rofl: Love it a cartridge which pre-dates the Us .30 Springfield aka 30-06 is mearly a necked down version of a case that did not exist at the time. 2 seconds on google provides the 9.3x62 introduction as 1905 of course the .30-06 came along a year later.

One might say the 9.3x62 may be a necked down and shortened 30-03 but I wonder how many have even heard of the cartridge ? This was the original cartridge for teh 1903 Springfield rifle and the one based upon the Mauser case after the poor showing of the 30-40 in the Spanish-American war where the Cubans used the fairly new 7mm Mauser in the Model 1892 rifle to such good effect.

That is hilarious!~Muir

(You need to get out more, Brit.)

Reloading Solutions - Aftab and Bushra are top rate. Deal in confidence. Been around donkeys. ( declared interest - they supply us )

If you have sourced cased then fine, but reforming 30-06 is very straight forward - I know two owners and this is their preferred route.

Hi Muir, do you have any experience with or opinion on the dedicated RCBS die set for forming 9.3x62 from 30.06. I respect your knowledge in this area and based on your earlier post I would like to give the conversion a go and would like a one stop option kit wise.

It doesn't sound as if Mark is finding the 9.3x62 "common" in the UK. I'll bet 30-06 is pretty common.

I do quite a bit of cartridge case reforming and the dimensional differences between the 9,3 and the 30-06 at the head and rim are so small that they would be swallowed up by the normal variations in chamber dimensions found between individual rifles. 9.3x62 shooters here in the US commonly use 30-06 for this brass.~Muir

I've got some thin rim '01 i.e. .30-03 Government ammo (short necked '06 pattern :D) resized from Norma .270win... I bet that would make a lovely thinwall 9.3x62 base case.

Smart assing aside, I think for anyone trying this at home, care would be needed if your destination is La Belle France... speshly if there's an '06 Headstamp anywhere to be seen, "they" might not believe your explanation.

Last edited:
Back