Which 243 Rifle Sub £600

ths84

I have finally sorted out my variation for a 243 to get moving on my stalking dream. Now my questions is which rifle (excluding scope/ mod) under £600 and also which factory loads as at present I wont have the money to start self loading.

This rifle will primarily be used for foxing and secondly as a deer rifle so will I need two different loads for each animal? Im open to new or second hand but it will need to be reliable and rugged and have a few years of use in it as I'm an all weather shooter.

edit: Forgot to add is there anything that I should be looking for on a rifle like on a car having the belts done at 80k?

Last edited:
Are you wanting New or Used? New look at savage, howa . Second hand you wont go far wrong with a Browning A-bolt, Tikka or Winchester. As for ammo it depends on what the rifle you buy likes, personally I would use the same load for both Fox and Roe. Give Guntrader a right good look through.

Nutty

Fora value for money rifle I don't think that you will go far wrong with a HOWA 1500. I have shot fox and deer with mine and on the range put rounds through the same hole at 100 metres. I tend to use mine primarily for stalking and for factory rounds use 95 grain Winchester supreme ballistic tips.There are plenty of deals with Howa where you can choose barrel & stock options and package deals with moderators & scopes.Check them out online their prices new should be such that you won't need to worry about changing the cam belts!;)Cheers,Dave

Search on guntrader, there should be plenty to choose from. I'd go for a second hand Tikka M595 or T3 if you can find one in your budget, or an older Sako (there's a few A2's on there at the moment). Browning, Howa or Weatherby should also do the job well. If you do a dealer search for Somerset (not too far away from you) you will find Ivythorn Sporting - the owner has a good reputation, as well as a range so you can try a rifle before buying.

Last edited:
I have a Howa 1500 in .243 which is also my first rifle, i use 100gr federals through it an get good groupings. You cant go far wrong with it and at £500 it means more money left over for a better scope! Thats how i did it anyway.

I'm not experienced enough in rifle choice sub £600, but for factory ammunition I've had very good results from PPU expanding in my .308 - good price too, none in stock for my shiny new .243 when I picked that up a couple of weeks ago so I took some Sako ammunition. More expensive, but after zeroing shot 0.5" groups at 100yds.

+1 for Ivythorn, especially if they have something of interest. - No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards
Richard

I had my Tikka 595 s/s for sale on here last week @ £500 ,got no takers,only tyre kickers,so decided to keep it and add another .270 to my cabinate,glad I did shoots spot on with PPU and light enough to carry all day and it's in immaculate condition ,I paid £550 for it with a set of 30mm optiloks,my advise would be to hold out untill something like this crops up much better IMO than a new Abolt or T3.
Jase.

C.Z. 550 but I am biased, I just loooove C.Z.s and my 243 has got top grade wood on it. Shoots sub 1 inch groups all day.
Tusker.

C.Z. 550 but I am biased, I just loooove C.Z.s and my 243 has got top grade wood on it. Shoots sub 1 inch groups all day.
Tusker.

Thanks for the responses everyone you have given me a lot to think about with a few names that keep popping off, I should get my ticket back in the next few weeks so gives me some time go and have a feel of the different makes :)

Hello

look at the CZ stuff,they are well built ,accurate and longlived and you wont have any problems.........some will say they are old fashioned and they are right but they are a no frills workhorse and represent excellent value for money.So buy a CZ and spend the brass you saved on the best optics you can afford.

cheers Lee

One final question, having a chat with a mate of mine about the 243 and which mod to go for and he actually said don't bother with one as a good set of ear defenders are much better value for shooting with.

Any truth in this or is it still worth getting a moderator?

..Any truth in this or is it still worth getting a moderator?

Over the last ten years, moderators have gone from being the exception, to being the rule. I shoot better with a good moderator (AU-SL5). I find it quite odd now to fire or watch an un-moderated rifle being fired. When my Dad at the age of 86 asks to borrow my rifle and moderator, I know I am onto a winner. Regards JCS

One final question, having a chat with a mate of mine about the 243 and which mod to go for and he actually said don't bother with one as a good set of ear defenders are much better value for shooting with.

Any truth in this or is it still worth getting a moderator?

Also if you wear ear defenders, you are also blocking out the sounds of the woodland/forest/fields which can be very useful - ideally on a stalk you want to hear everything, have all your senses alert. You could always just put them before you squeeze the trigger, but it's extra hassle just at the moment when you need full concentration and you may miss the opportunity by fiddling with you ear defenders.

Back