Quietest .22 subsonic ?

JRoe

Anyone know what the quietest .22 subsonic bullet is - - and I don't mean the one lying on the carpet in the car footwell !

JR

i've used some RWS that were nice without mod and almost thud thud with - solid points fort the record.

Currenly using some eleys from the 80@s - dirty as hell - but conistent - altho the wins are nice and quiet.

Last edited:
There is something about eley subs,they do have a nice smell to them,thought most 22lr ammo did.

Probably remington as they barely have enough power to leave the barrel and then drop like a stone!:evil:
Eley is my favourite but only because they are most accurate.
I think that your choice of moderator will affect sound levels to a greater extent than your choice of ammo.;)
How quiet do you want it? most subsonics are quieter than a mouses fart anyway!?:confused:
MS

Winchester used (10 years ago) to occasionally come out of Bruno 22 rifles supersonic - Many was the time we'd get a loud crack from the odd one - Indicating variable speed inconsistency. That's why I went over to RWS - they never did it. Plus I prefer the grease on RWS that keeps the fouling in the barrel soft.
Eley seem to be repeatedly quiet too - but I've always used the RWS as I know how it shoots in my rifles.

Ian

I find that winchesters hit harder than the eley, although the eleys do give off a nice whiff il agree.

Both are about the same accuracy wise through mine but the winchesters are £1 a box cheaper, or £10 a brick. Ive never noticed the noise difference. All sound the same to me with a mod on.

I have a 22" barrelled sako quad with a pes T12 scout

I put a magazine of five rounds in with
Winchester
Eley
RWS
CCI
CCI CB long

I then fired them out to some range so the bullet strike didnt interfere with perceived muzzle blast

cb long were quitest by far but are lower powered that normal subs
RWS are lower power than both Win and Eley but were noisier than Win and Eley

Winchester was the quietest of the four normal power subs but a noticeable margin

CCI are just crap and noisy!

I use Winchester, they work, are accurate in my rifle and I've not had any noisy ones. That said my rifle is a recoil action semi so might well have a slightly lower MV than a bolt action, so might well damp out some marginal loads.

The CB long runs out at about 30 ft.lb, so it'd better be quiet!

I've fired thousands upon thousands of Eley, through match rifles, and they're accurate as hell. Not tried them through a moderated rifle though, and not shot anything living with them, but I'd imagine they're fairly consistent given their accuracy. I might have to get some, just to remind me of those fun days on the range with Jock.

I've not heard anything good said about CCI .22 ammunition. I have a couple of boxes in WMR and can't get them to group at all. Not tried them in LR though.

.22 shorts, they don't come any quieter.

Neil. :)

Or less accurate.

If you're wanting something that quiet, forget the shorts and buy a decent sub 12 ft.lb PCP air rifle! Good ones will shoot single hole groups at 40 yards all day long, the .22 shorts won't do that at 4 yards!

Eley subs, however for out and out stopping and a big thwack then Magtechs, oh so good on magpies!!!

D

I did some decibel and frequency tests about 10 years ago. The RWS was second to the Aguila 60 grain subs. After that, I've forgotten and I don't know what happened to the data. At the time, no one seemed interested.~Muir

Back