Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My prairiedogging rig.

My prairiedogging rig.

I spent the day on some of my new hunting "permission" (as you guys call it) shooting prairiedogs. This was my rig that I used to get out to the hills to shoot.

The pack strapped on the back carried ammo, a snake-bite kit, water, some beef jerky and gumdrops, a flashlight and some nylon cord. The front back is tools. Lashed to the carrier is a camera tripod with a foam rest on top. In practice, I shoot sitting side saddle on the seat, resting the rifle on the tripod. (Yes, I don't use tripods for big game. They are fair game for prairidedogs) The rifle is my new Thompson Center single shot in 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum.

I took 17 dogs out to 170 yards, used 21 shots. Amazingly, the last miss was round 20 at 50 yards! Round 21 fixed that bit of over confidence!

This is where I was shooting. No cell phone reception but the GPS on the handle bars hit on 9 satellites!! ~Muir

Looks like fun to me

You can tell the itch that I think I love her, well her land at least, well don cuz!

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Looks cracking mate.

Hi Muir

Wow thats what we call a real permission!

Where is it?

Hey Muir nice rig, but I figured you for more of a repeater type than a single shot !!

How's your Rokon holding up ? looks good, is it all you expected it to be.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by trimix View Post
    Hi Muir

Wow thats what we call a real permission!

Where is it?
    About 4500 miles west of you!
    Dont tell them Muir!
    I will find it when i come over in November.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

Too late Iknow exactly where it is

Thanks all. Yes, it's a pretty spectacular piece of land. This is actually facing away from the bulk of the land. On my right, there is about a half-mile before the 10000 acre plot of winter pasture I'll be scouting next week. The actual prairiedog town I was shooting is behind me. It is a two generation family ranch, with three sons and the dad running it. It's big enough that they own a helicopter. I understand that when they brand cattle the women of the households grudgingly feed 150 men. Nice folks, really. Really down to earth.

The ranch is in south central Montana about 20 miles above the Wyoming line. There is a great trout river at the base of those distant hills that JAYB has put a worm..or was it fly? into teaching my son how to fly fish. So, as you can see. The secret is out. Once JAYB knows, the world knows unless he's paid to keep quiet. The "B" stands for "Bucket Mouth", don't you know?

UB: The Rokon is a beast. I had to traverse a creek and some steep hills to get to where I was shooting and it didn't even breathe hard. I ditched the rear seat and built a cargo platform to haul my gear on; I like it much better. As to the repeater thing. No, not me. Even when I have a repeating bolt gun I load one at a time. More often than not I leave the chamber empty and the bolt open.

This is the shooting set up I use, looking out over part of the dog town. ~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 17-06-2012 at 14:39.

Don't be calling me names, you never know what I might say