222 rifle for foxing

FACEMIESTER

I am thinking of buying a 222 rifle for foxing, can anyone give me some feedback please on ammo prices availability. also distances you can take foxes with and any other useful info please.
Thanks
Facemiester

A sweet round, designed for 50 grain bullets at 3200FPS. Used to be king of the bench rest as it is very accurate. Little recoil. Not too much noise either.
Designed by Mike Walker of Remington in 1950.
200 yards max typically.
It is a buyers market as the 223 is more popular. Compare prices on gun trader.
I reload using 50gr Sierra Varminter or Blitzking. You can get the PPU rounds for £10 for 20 maybe £12-£14?
Got to try a few to get the most accurate ones.
Zero at 1" high at 100 yards

Untitled Document

.222 Remington

As Jack said, 222 sweet round, 223 more popular with wider scope for reloading and as Scotty pointed out if you've got a 243 why not use that instead of spending more dosh on new kit.?

My 243 is used mainly for fox . 58GR V-Max really flattens them and has similar performance to a 22-250. 87gr V-max is my favourite.

Ade

Yes, 243 is great but I use it for deer and do not use the mod and have to re zero plus change the rounds and over the last few years have used more ammo than I should have. Plus I use 8x56 s&b for the deer and fancy a bit of magnification for the lamp. Foxes look small at night at 200yrds.
Facemiester

yes i also use 58 gr v max and do well it is just when I come to change rounds and take mod off I waste ammo setting up again.
Thanks for everyones feedback I appreciate it chaps.
Facemiester

Hey up pal, yes I just keep having to put mod back on and change ammo and fancied just having the sole foxing rifle.
Facemiester

End of the day its all down to what you choose, I went for a .222 nearly 25 years ago when I first started keepering, and I still use one now.
The majority of foxes I shoot are with it and the little round has accounted for a serious number over the years.
As stated an inch high at 100 yards and its job done on any charlie in the lamp with the added bonus that with no muzzle flip you see them drop.

I have never had a 222... so cant really comment on the round itself but I have used a few other rounds! currently using a 243. but to be honest my favorite to date is 223 very similar in performance to the 222 and its more than capable of doing anything you require from it under the lamp! i used 50g vmax in mine, really accurate and dispatched foxes out to around 300yds! with ease! ( not that far in the dark though! before anyone says anything..)
i think if it was me i would consider the whole picture... loads of rifles to choose from, easier to sell on i would think & also loads of second had bits on here for them! reloading items etc....

just got a .222, once I manage to get the bu**er to shoot straight I will be thoroughly enjoying it for my varminting :)

ps. previously shot foxes with .243 and found that it was a bit big and load for that purpose and something a bit smaller was probably more appropriate as wind/distance is not an issue for my foxing. Also use the .243 for deer, so have loaded it with a deer round, no mod, no bipod, etc. so a dedicated foxing tool just made more sense.

really wanted a .223, but a .222 opportunity presented itself, so we'll see how that goes, I'm sure I won't know the difference apart from the number on the gun.

I am thinking of buying a 222 rifle for foxing, can anyone give me some feedback please on ammo prices availability. also distances you can take foxes with and any other useful info please.
Thanks
Facemiester

.222 Excellent round as stated has won more bench rest competitions than any other round. Have relpied in detail to your pm.

Kind regards Jimbo :thumb: to .222

Or, you could get a calibre with a .222 case, but a .20 bullet - bring on the .204 Ruger. I got mine about a month ago, and love it. I'm only just starting to stretch its legs, but shot a bunny off sticks at 290 yards the other day. And none of the foxes I've shot with it have complained... :)

Thanks cockerdog for your comments and all the other guys who have replied I really appreciate it.
I have struck the deal and hopefully will have the rifle in the near future.
Facemiester

Or, you could get a calibre with a .222 case, but a .20 bullet - bring on the .204 Ruger. I got mine about a month ago, and love it. I'm only just starting to stretch its legs, but shot a bunny off sticks at 290 yards the other day. And none of the foxes I've shot with it have complained... :)

would it be rude of me to assume that shot was more luck than skill:norty:

would it be rude of me to assume that shot was more luck than skill:norty:

Yes, it would be. I'd spent the previous week building up to it by shooting bunnies at 240-250 yards, so knew what to do for the extra range. I should, however, say that the shot was taken on the side of a steep hill, with me sitting down and the sticks set to about half-height. The rearmost leg was positioned such that it ran under my armpit, giving my left hand a good solid rest under the rifle's butt.

Yes, it would be. I'd spent the previous week building up to it by shooting bunnies at 240-250 yards, so knew what to do for the extra range. I should, however, say that the shot was taken on the side of a steep hill, with me sitting down and the sticks set to about half-height. The rearmost leg was positioned such that it ran under my armpit, giving my left hand a good solid rest under the rifle's butt.

Could i ask what scope you have on your .204, How it is zeroed, what ammo are you using and how you are measuring the distances to confirm you shoot rabbits at these distances you claim.

Jimbo

Last edited:

ha ha ha..well done mate, indeed. I thought you were taking it free standing off twin sticks sort of thing, in which case it would have been a VERY remarkable shot, but with the support you mention, feasible, to the skilled and trained:tiphat:

Back