needed load data for 6mm Hornaday 100grn SP interlock

pete

needed load data for 6mm .243 Hornady 100grn SP interlock with varget or n160 as i can not find any online, ive being told it will be in the hornady reloading book if you have got one please give me the min/max load and the OAL please.

Thanks in advance Pete

Last edited:
needed load data for 6mm Hornady 100grn SP interlock with varget or n160 as i can not find any online, ive being told it will be in the hornady reloading book if you have got one please give me the min/max load and the OAL please.

Thanks in advance Pete

What cartridge Pete?

Ian.

The only type of bullets I am aware of, I am sure there are those who can correct me if I am wrong ;), that require differing data are those mono metal bullets like the original Barnes and possibly the GS Custom bullets from South Africa which I believe the Barnes Bullet Co now copy.

Speer used to list slightly different data for a couple of their bullets but in their #14 manual they no longer do so .............................. ahh I see they dropped the 6mm 100 grain flat based bullet :cry: and kept the boat tailed one in production :rolleyes:.

This difference is due to the bullets construction and/or bearing surface which effects pressures.

I was once shown a fine English Double Side by Side Dangerous game rifle that the barrels had been ruined by the use or solid bronze "solids" for Cape Buffalo and Elephant. As the bullets could not compress and were hard to engrave they had ironed the rifling so it was now showing on the outside of the barrels and no longer in the bore where it belongs. Of course Doubles have thinner barrel walls that the usual bolt action but just think if it can do that to those barrels what are they doing to your barrel should you choose to use them? :eek:

So in direct answer to your question:-

so can i use and brand of 100grn sp head to get my start loads ect ??

With normal construction bullets ............................ yes!

manny thanks all

i have data for evey thing other than these heads! ive got all the data books minus the Hornady one, and i though it would be a quick and easy one from there book but i was incorrect it must be not listed for my powder ect

Thanks again Pete

needed load data for 6mm .243 Hornady 100grn SP interlock with varget or n160 as i can not find any online, ive being told it will be in the hornady reloading book if you have got one please give me the min/max load and the OAL please.

Thanks in advance Pete

Pete.

from the Viht Vol 4 Reloading manual.
Hornady 100gr SPBT.
COL 2.65 INCH or 67.3MM.
N160
MIN 42.7gr MAX 46.9gr

should add that N160 is much slower than Varget which is similar to N140.

hope this helps.

Brithunter, although i admire your sentiments you really do need to step out of the dark ages occaisionally, barrel steel, in fact all steel has came a long way since the glory days of double rifles.

Ian.

Brithunter, although i admire your sentiments you really do need to step out of the dark ages occaisionally, barrel steel, in fact all steel has came a long way since the glory days of double rifles.

Ian.

Really well I will try to remember that and obviously makers such as Chapuis no longer make doubles :rolleyes: not to mention Merkel, Heym, Zoli, Browning, Berretta, etc etc. In fact double rifles are probably more common now than there were then. That double witht eh ruined barrels was shown to me not long before I moved north from Surrey so that's about a decade ago.

Really well I will try to remember that and obviously makers such as Chapuis no longer make doubles :rolleyes: not to mention Merkel, Heym, Zoli, Browning, Berretta, etc etc. In fact double rifles are probably more common now than there were then. That double witht eh ruined barrels was shown to me not long before I moved north from Surrey so that's about a decade ago.

Brithunter,
I hope you dont think i am being insulting mate, if it came across that way please accept my apologies.
I am well aware of modern makers of double rifles but from your description of the barrel damage i assumed you were talking about an older rifle with barrels made of softer steel.
However you cant get past the fact that in the past 50yrs steel has improved substantially.

Ian.

Brithunter,
I hope you dont think i am being insulting mate, if it came across that way please accept my apologies.
I am well aware of modern makers of double rifles but from your description of the barrel damage i assumed you were talking about an older rifle with barrels made of softer steel.
However you cant get past the fact that in the past 50yrs steel has improved substantially.

Ian.

:rofl: No it's fine given my liking for old classics. I am struggling to recall the make of the rifle :oops: it might even have been a continental one of fairly recent manufacture but I really don't recall now. I was so struck by the almost perfect reverse rifling that I didn't look at much else. It was probably a 470 NE. One would have thought the shooter would have noticed the marking appearing on the outside of the barrels but it seems not.

I was reading Whelen the other night and his accounting of the development of the .22 Hornet and how their test rifle had shot 40,000 rounds and showed no lost of accuracy in grouping. They never found out how many it could do as someone did not clean it properly and the barrel rusted out as Whelen puts it. We are talking of the time of mercuric primers still then.

Of course people would scoff at the grouping now but of course they were testing using 10 shot groups these were between 2 1/2"- 3 1/2" at 200 metres (218 yards. It make me smile when I see people worried about barrel life after a scant couple of thousand rounds and wonder if the improvements claimed for barrel steel are real or just that claims.

Back