Tyres

09mutley05

I'm in need of a couple of new tyres for my vauxhall monterey practicly the same as an izuzu trooper. My question is, i have 245 x 70 x16 on the monterey at the moment, and i may be able to get a set pf like new bfgoogrich allterrain at a good price, but they are 265 x 75 x 16. Are they going to be too big? any thoughts much apprieciated, but preferably real life experience.

Atb Matt

265 75 x 16 should be OK as you say Monterey is like the trooper I used to have a trooper and thats the size that was on mine, it was a Citation and that was the standard tyre size on that model.

the tyres and wheels would fit the Monterey without a problem, but not sure if your wheels are the same size
check the back of your wheel the size should be stamped there would need to be 7J to take 265 tyres I think

I'm in need of a couple of new tyres for my vauxhall monterey practicly the same as an izuzu trooper. My question is, i have 245 x 70 x16 on the monterey at the moment, and i may be able to get a set pf like new bfgoogrich allterrain at a good price, but they are 265 x 75 x 16. Are they going to be too big? any thoughts much apprieciated, but preferably real life experience.

Atb Matt

Try putting the info into this link... http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Martin

Matt,

No problem at all.

Not so. I've had to get my calculator out.

245/70/R16 are 2260mm circumference..... rim 7.0" to 8'5"
265/75/R16 are 2425mm circumference..... rim 7.5" to 9.0"

7.3% rolling difference means your speedo shows 70mph but you're doing 75mph.

Also fatter tyres are less efficient in mud.

as long as you change all 4 and accept your speedo may over read which you can check with gps etc then no problem. I went the other way and went down from 265 to 245 as the 245/75/16's were almost the same rolling radius to 265 70/16 but I had far more choice in AT tyres and they were far cheaper at the time.

OP implied changing two
I would say no to that regardless of the Fronty's transmission

too much of a step up in size for comfort between front and back.
overread isnt an issue so long as you dont try to use it as an excuse in court for your 95mph speeding ticket!

Are they on the front? It's generally good practice to put new on the front. If so as well as the other problems you may need to adjust your turning stops - you will probably get a reduced turning circle and if you don't adjust the stops you'll get the tyres rubbing on the chassis

Thanks everyone for your replys, i Think i'm going to give the 265x75x16 tyres a miss, looked at them today and they look huge! They come off a farmers defender that was px'd, its just they are to go on a p reg monterey and didn't realy want to shell out more than the cars worth on tyre just incase something expensive goes on the car. I might just get two new245 x 70 x 16 bfgoodrich all terrains for the back and get the front when it goes for its mot in september. Or i might be brave and just put them on the card!
Theirs a place near that said they will fit them for £130 a corner, seems like a good price, unless anyone knows any better.

Back