Oil finish

Acm

Going to start on an alkanet and boiled linseed oil finish on a walnut stock this weekend . How can I make sure it's a matte finish not high gloss ? I've put in a ton of hours sanding back so I want to get this right !!!!
Cheers

I think that a gloss finish is a result of hardners added to wood treatments like varnish. I have only used oil on our oak flood and the finish on that was matte.

Please let me know how you get on. I used Danish oil on 2 of my stocks. One came out fantastic, but it was s disaster on my Sako!

As I said before lightly rub the surface with fine wire wool, preferably bronze or 1200 grit wet and dry paper after the finish has hardened to remove the gloss.

Or you might like to use the matte finish tru oil as I believe they do one.

I think that a gloss finish is a result of hardners added to wood treatments like varnish.

no its the result of a very fine wood surface, grain sealer and multiple coats of oil lovingly massaged into the stock and given plenty of time to dry between coats.
I started to get a shiny finish on mine but gave it some wire wool treatment. its not a £20k H&H double afterall and I thought the gloss finish was over the top.

Well this is the first rifle stock I did using a proepr stock finish kit. Thatwas the Purdy's Kit by Warthog now sadly no longer about:-

10226408.jpg

P1230112.jpg

ZKK601figuring.jpg

As you can see it is a high gloss. This has proved to be durable and water resistant. That finish was applied in the winter ( Jan, Feb, March) of 1998.

Well this is the first rifle stock I did using a proepr stock finish kit. Thatwas the Purdy's Kit by Warthog now sadly no longer about:-

10226408.jpg

P1230112.jpg

ZKK601figuring.jpg

As you can see it is a high gloss. This has proved to be durable and water resistant. That finish was applied in the winter ( Jan, Feb, March) of 1998.

Fantastic timber and excellent finish.

Jimbo

The more coats of oil you put on it the higher the gloss. When you have finished oiling it let it dry hard then give a very light rub with very fine wire wool or better still webrax, that way no particles of steel are left behind to rust. Rub only enough to remove the shine.

That's why we say bronze wool. I never use steel wool and as bronze is difficult to find I use Scotch Brite or wet and dry instead.

Back