Is it not time for a safety forum?

Brithunter

Obviously not so please ignore.

Perhaps a forum to help and enlighten those new to the sport with the basic safety procedures, like the one recently about a misfire, might not be a bad idea.

Those who have shot varied disciplines and through the auspices of the NRA or other body had the benefit of instruction is such basics but others who come straight into stalking may not. It could be a place of reference to learn or even brush up on safety procedures/drills.

Tips on how to deal with:-

Misfire.
Squibs
Hangfires
Blocked bore or muzzle

Perhaps some basic first aid advice and tips on what to carry afield (without needing a support column :p)

So what does SD think of the idea?

Last edited:
Totally agree,
i came to stalking after many years of full & smallbore shooting so had all the safety drilled into me at an early age.
German stalkers where I now live have to have had basic weapons training to get their Jagdschein.
It really is remiss of the nanny state UK that on the one hand they can ban legitimate pistol shooters with years of experience citing public safety grounds and then allow stalkers to go from having zero knowledge to get an FAC without having had formal training, dont seem to fit with the health & safety mentality. Not all stalkers are ex forces.
Martin

Last edited:
Referring over to the misfire thread, I think PKL's idea regards a Best Practise section has a great deal of merit - particularly the transfer to it of only 'distilled wisdom'. I know Best Practise has connotations with other schemes, but nicely moves away from being dictatorial - ie 'this is the ONLY way to do it.

I appreciate that 99% of posters to SD do so in very good faith - but often erroneous information ( eg JAYB being good looking ) does crop up and the general unintended effect is at best confusion and at worst dangerous advice.

Believe it a good idea and in best traditions of the positive side of SD - although appreciate may be implications for Admin to ponder in terms of work load, legal responsibility etc.

Perhaps a forum to help and enlighten those new to the sport with the basic safety procedures, like the one recently about a misfire, might not be a bad idea.

Those who have shot varied disciplines and through the auspices of the NRA or other body had the benefit of instruction is such basics but others who come straight into stalking may not. It could be a place of reference to learn or even brush up on safety procedures/drills.

Misfire.
Squibs
Hangfires
Blocked bore or muzzle

Perhaps some basic first aid advice and tips on what to carry afield (without needing a support column :p)

Yep... good call Brit :thumb:

Well in my opinion you should not:

1 Have access to rifles
2 be stalking

If you don't know how to deal with basic things like misfires.

I think that accounts for at least 50% of the stalking population in the UK
And that's because they think they already 'know everything' and therefore don't need to do DSC 1.;)
I know someone that had been stalking for 30 years and recently had to do his level 1. He barely passed it and afterwards admitted to learning an awful lot!!!!
Have you done yours yet Brithunter?:rolleyes:

MS

You never stop learning....

how to deal with basic things

I highlighted the key word there. If you don't understand the basics of rifle safety and handling you should not be solo stalking or own a rifle.

PKL, I would agree with you, sadly.

how to deal with basic things

I highlighted the key word there. If you don't understand the basics of rifle safety and handling you should not be solo stalking or own a rifle.

PKL, I would agree with you, sadly.

You didnt highlight it in your original post....i do actually agree with your comment but it never hurts to learn from other peoples experience,i for one would rather learn from other people losing THEIR fingers rather than me doing the same.........things do change and move on.....

DSC L1 is only as good as the individual trainers. I had no instruction for misfires etc when i did mine... I was glad to read in other thread how a hangfire should be dealt with and reckon a "best practice" section would be great.

(could do without the condescension towards newcomers though)

May I ask what is wrong with pointing out that new comers to the sport as in most things have most to learn. We are all new to it at some point in time.

May I ask what is wrong with pointing out that new comers to the sport as in most things have most to learn. We are all new to it at some point in time.

I for one have loads to learn from more experienced folk, in stalking and everything else!! But that's the key isn't it? You got to start somewhere and not knowing something, because you have not experienced it yourself or read/learn't from courses etc, doesn't (...shouldn't...) preclude you from participation. Basic knowledge to some is still new to someone else..

Misfire.
Squibs
Hangfires
Blocked bore or muzzle

An excellent idea - in principal. Management and administration would be a challenge however, as some 'advice' would inevitably be opinion and not necessarily acknowledged and accepted best practice or sound safety advice - again the hangfire thread proves this point. I would hate to be the site administrators if, for example ,a member took some advice that ended up in a catestrophic accident. Jayb and sikamalc's third party liability insurance premium would certainly go up!

Back