Available: Forestry commision deer control licences

cwd

Forestry commision have 15 blocks of woodland across England open for tender for deer control licence
look on commision website under grants and tenders
it may be of use to some members
regards andy

some of it is not worth worrying about , i had a look at the info on 1 bit 20 miles from me , and the only want 6 roe and 6 muntjac shot even though i know the area is stuffed with 100's of fallow !

Last edited:
I don't have DSC2 but am hoping to get it in the next few months; one of these is about 3 minutes from my house, so am pretty keen on getting into a syndicate to apply (1lh + 2ap).

The cull figures are pretty uninspiring, and it's far from riddled; however, I know the ground pretty well and have seen deer there previously. I can give a report on activity as at yesterday (went for a walk with the boy).

I have experience of the FC tendering process, but not the deer licence one.

Anyone interested?

Best
O

some of it is not worth worrying about , i had a look at the info on 1 bit 20 miles from me , and the only want 6 roe and 6 muntjac shot even though i know the area is stuffed with 100's of fallow !

I don't think you read the doc fully. The numbers quoted are minimum and in line with their policy fallow can be taken in season if seen.

Am I right in thinking you only have to be working towards your DSC 2 to shoot on FC land?

I'm interested in one but don't have DSC 2 yet.

Am I right in thinking you only have to be working towards your DSC 2 to shoot on FC land?

I'm interested in one but don't have DSC 2 yet.

Depends on regional restrictions... NY have said must have DSC2 (working towards only counts if you have it pre commencement [nov 2012]; darn sarf said working towards is fine for lease if under 1 year to get it; however, you can only be an authorised person and not the licence holder.

Hi Guys,
To become a land liecence holder with the commission you need to be a level two candidate, to be entered on to an existing liecence and stalk alone you need to be working towards your level two and achieve it within 12 months, I have some commission land and we have exceeded our cull of fallow. It al depends on your ranger ours is a top guy and very helpfull. The reason these lets are coming up is the commission is having some serious revamps as all gov stuff is and they are bringing together all districts. This along with reduction of rangers is making the job very demanding, so the rangers let land go, stuff thats a little to far for them or not as produtive as say the wood right where the ranger lives. But great sport for us.

That was my understanding, that you couldn't be the license holder but could be a named/authorised person. Anyone on here thinking of tendering for one of the Savernake leases?

if anyone is interested in these areas then you need to act fast as im sure you only have until the end of june to express your interest
regards andy

That was my understanding, that you couldn't be the license holder but could be a named/authorised person. Anyone on here thinking of tendering for one of the Savernake leases?
Savernake is 1 area, that's 5 woods, 222 deer to cull, riddled with joe public and picnic areas, doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the amount of visits required to hit targets, even if deer are present in these "low impact" areas.

Hi Guys,
To become a land liecence holder with the commission you need to be a level two candidate, to be entered on to an existing liecence and stalk alone you need to be working towards your level two and achieve it within 12 months, I have some commission land and we have exceeded our cull of fallow. It al depends on your ranger ours is a top guy and very helpfull. The reason these lets are coming up is the commission is having some serious revamps as all gov stuff is and they are bringing together all districts. This along with reduction of rangers is making the job very demanding, so the rangers let land go, stuff thats a little to far for them or not as produtive as say the wood right where the ranger lives. But great sport for us.

As far as I am aware unless FC England is different to FC Scotland, only a level two qualified person can stalk alone, any level one qualified have to have a level two present

Had a look at Savernake on Ordnance Survey. All the woods have several footpaths going through them which would make shooting it pretty difficult I think, especially in the winter when Joe Public will be walking dogs same time as we are out shooting.

I also think that the Savernake lease is Thetford style i.e. High seat only. The other problem is you will need to take on all of the woods and not just the good ones.

ive heard two opinions on this
one from a friend who says they are looking more for someone capable of reaching cull targets rather than biggest wallet
and someone posted £100 an animal
the best way to work it out is go see the ground look at cull target then make your mind up as to what you would be happy to pay
these areas are up to tender for the deer control license and notjust a recreational stalking license or sporting lease
basically they just want you to be suitably qualified and equiped to do a job
and i tend to agree with my friend who says its not all about money ?
i hope this helps
regards andy

Back