Thread: You guys that have 308 and 30-06 with a moderator fitted how do they both compare

You guys that have 308 and 30-06 with a moderator fitted how do they both compare

If you have both of these you will be qualified to answer the question above.
    I now have both on my licence and are favouring one more than the other, but would value you experiance if you have it
    Are you more likely to a flitch with one, how do they compare with un-moderated 243
    Thanks In advance
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Hi Truffelhunting,

Recoil wise the unmoderated rifles are slightly different. It's my experiance that the .308 is more of a sharp Punch were as the .30-06 is more of a shove. Difference is marginally but it you shoot th enough you will see what I mean. In terms of a flinch any calibre of rifle can cause a flinch so I don't think it matters. Moderated and unmoderated both are good calibre performing well on all uk deer. I don't tend to notice the recoil on my .308 or my 30-06 when I had one. I've standardised on .308.

The most notable improvement I found with the moderator on my .308 was the reduction in muzzle-flash, there is still a bit of a 'kick' and I would agree that the 30-06 was more of a shove.
    My .243 has noticeably less recoil (not fired it without the mod yet - only got it a few weeks ago), but it is laminated varmint barrel so a hit heavier - and is some of it in the mind?

Well my 30.06 is an ancient and trusty BSA 5 star Majestic which is very light. I thought it a bit bumpy and didn't want a moderator so I got Jim Young to put a muzzle brake on it and a good thick "Gooey" pad. Now it's no bother - if a bit noisy if you are to the side of it. The deer don't mind - they still don't know where the shots are coming from.
    The .308 is a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel and a moderator. It weighs a ton and the recoil is not noticeable at all.
    One for the hill and one for the forest. Neither for France irritatingly. (See other threads.)

Why do you think you are going to flinch,not the best line of thought,don't be scared of it or you will,when you put up a target you tend to notice report more,when you shoot a bambi you wouldn't notice at all watching to see the reaction,I've used 30-06 for 9 years plus,used without mod,with mod and a muzz brake,it's a more expensive cartridge to use but better than 308 I would imagine,I've recently got a 308 and I will find out for myself.

I have a Tikka T3 in .30-06 fitted with a Northstar moderator. It's extremely pleasant to shoot and recoil isnt an issue at all. I'd say the recoil was less than an unmoderated .243 but that's just my impression and I couldn't prove it!

Again, I personally don't notice any difference between a moderated .308, .270 or .30-06 in terms of noise or recoil, and I doubt you'd develop a flinch with any of them if you have a decent shooting technique.

Flinches usually develop through poor technique.
    Shooting without a mod tends to focus you a hold a little, with a mod and it is possible to get lazy.

IMO, mods reduce recoil but seem to slow it down a lot as well.

Muzzle blast (noise) can also cause flinching, not just recoil.

Muzzle blast as mentioned and poor fit of the stock to you will cause flinching especially the latter as you react to pain I have a Styer CISM in 308 and with the full power target loads is a bit of a handfull it isn't heavy enough and is really snappy. I tried a past recoil pad and changed the pad on the butt to a slip on soft one (which I am going to change back) With the combination of the two percieved recoil in the shoulder was like a 22LR unreal how much the past did its job. I think I got the magnum one 10 shot strings were much better on me and on the target too.