Washing Waterproofs

2428 miles

I'm not sure i can live with the smell of my stalking trousers any longer!!!

I have resisted washing them as i don't want them to loose there waterproofnes but they have so much blood and filth engraned in them that they smell quite strongly.

Any ideas about how to wash them?

I have some non Biological powder i could use, but not sure what that will do to the waterproofing ability of the trousers.

All comments welcome!!

Miles

Non-bio is the way to go to get them clean if they are as far gone as you say they are but make sure they get a thorough rinsing. I advise non-bio because, I am told, bio-powders really bugger up the take on future re-proofings. I wash mine more frequently and also restore the proofing by running them through the machine with wash'n'proof by Outdoor Essentials which I buy from Mountain Warehouse. Other similar products must surely be available.

Stay clean, stay dry!

Don't forget most modern powders contain UV brighteners...and deer can see UV light (or so we are told by them as know)

Waterproofs

Hi

Tesco naturals washing range - eco friendly, non UV brightners, low odour.

I wash at 25 c but just as low as your washer goes should be fine.

Daemon

:D

With regards to waterproofing saw a demomstration at the Grangers factory in Alfreton a few years ago, they had a flurocarbon based proofer that was fantastic and its reactivated by tumble drying. I dont know how it compares re smell and deer, but it is very good at repelling water. Tom

With regards to waterproofing saw a demomstration at the Grangers factory in Alfreton a few years ago, they had a flurocarbon based proofer that was fantastic and its reactivated by tumble drying. I dont know how it compares re smell and deer, but it is very good at repelling water. Tom

The instructions on the bottle of wash'n'proof I mention above claim that the proofing is further improved if the garment is tumble dried after the wash. Maybe similar to the properties exhibited at Tom's demonstration?

A careful hand wash is better than machine if you have goretex/deertex linings etc. These are all layered membranes which eventually come apart after a number of washes - so it pays to stay dirty for as long as you can bear it!

Back