Spotting scope Aldi

fairacre

Popped into Aldi on the way to work to buy some apples and came out with a spotting scope.

Optus Zoom 20-60x60 spotting scope with table tripod 24.99 Made in Germany

At that price I don't mind if it's on the shelf in the garage 99% of the time but useful for a trip to the range.

ATB

+1 just been down to Aldi, cost me a little more I had to buy some bananas as well as the apples, but they still had a pile of these scopes. Been out in the garden and could learly see seeds in a sycamore tree 100 yds down the bottom of my garden. For the money seems very good. Thanks for the tip off mate. :thumb:

just been to get one seems ok for money thanks for the tip off boys good excuse to go put some rounds through

Got one ! Taken it out not bad for the price, i will be using it for range work with the Cadets ( AIR ) i am a shooting coach with them.

Steve

I put another similar thread up recently and was roundly criticised for the info!!!

I agree with all the above.

Took scope out and optics great for range/zero, and at that price you could go thru 4 of these for the price of other 'budget' scopes.

Good on Aldi

Fraser

I think I need to take a trip to Aldi, at least it will stop me contemplating splashing out on outrageously priced ones!

It's the 'Made in Germany' that I find interesting!

Well, that's the declaration on the 3-year Guarantee enclosed so it's a fact. There have been some sneering and supercilious comments from those who haven't actually bought one. These were on sale (even cheaper) 2 years ago but I was too slow to get one then. This is the thread that was posted.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/8660-Cheap-spotting-scope-at-Aldi-on-Thursday

The firm is Optus Gmbh from Germany, as ALDI is. Does this shake the assumption that if optics are German they must be best quality and the most expensive to be had? It is possible to get 'acceptable' quality fit-for-purpose goods without heartstopping prices.

When I missed the first round I bought a Camlink CSP60 from Amazon for about £99 including tripod. This did the job, but I followed the handy hint here last week, got the Aldi Optus 20-60x60 zoom on Sunday, and tootled down to the range to give both a whirl.

I've got a bit of an optics checker mounted on the target board which is a black & white chequer-board pattern with squares in 25cm, 0.8cm, 0,6cm, and 0.4cm. Whenever a cooperative soul turns up with a mounted Z6, S&B PMII, or Zeiss I can furtively turn these onto the checker to see what the fine detail resolution is at various powers through the zoom range. These machines are way above what most of us actually need. If you have average eyesight you should be able to pick out a 1" square by eye (which is 1MOA @ 100yds) downrange on my little board - so a decent 4x or 6x should resolve the 0.6cm grid. Even a 4x is okay for for stalking shots up to 150yds, and should be enough to verify a roe 'button' buck at reasonable range which has come up in the binocs I think.

Using the same setup the Aldi clearly resolved detail at the 30X setting down to 0.6cm but was just outclassed by the Camlink which brought the 0.4cm into focus. The real image size at maximum is a bit optimistic ... probably about 52x. The problem is that whatever the real max is, at '60x' the image was pretty dim with both 'scopes so about 40x is about it in use. That's probably true for any 60mm 'scope. The Aldi was a lot better than a dumpy 15-60x Hawke, and an old Greenkat 22x which other guys were using at picking out .22rf bullet holes in the black of a 50-yd NSRA match card. Mine didn't have any curvature at the edges either.

If you use low-power 'scopes or variables set near bottom you need help to see those tiny bullet holes. This isn't an optics report from 'Which' but based on what I've seen if you want a supercheap spotting scope for standard ranges then go for the Aldi offer before the shelves empty.

Last edited:
Hi all

I want one...I cant find a link and would really appreciate a PM with the ALDI link so can buy one of these.

Spotting scopes are always useful I find and so I have several of them. One lives in the range bag on a low Helios tripod. That's the Inpro that I brought oh about a dozen or so years ago. Aldi were only found in the North or Midlands then fact I had not seen an Aldi store until I moved up to Lincs.

After someone posting about something on offer at Aldis I make the mistake of going to the one in Boston to do the shopping. What a waste of time and petrol that was. half what we wanted they didn't have or carry the middle of the store seemed to be lined with cheap tat.

Had to go across town to Asda to get the things Aldi didn't have or do. cast more in the end than shopping in one place.

As for prices of spotting scopes well the Helios 20x50 we brought on Holiday in Scotland a few years back cost £35 from a small shop in some smallish Scottish Town. That's currently on the camera tripod in the conservatory for watching the birds and wildlife around here. I picked up a Nickel Marburg "Supra" two draw scope off the auction site from a Scots stalker and it cost me about £60 including postage.

If one looks about there are good ones at reasonable prices.

The worse of mine is the Inpro and I would not recommend them to anyone.

none at our northampton store :cry: we do our weekly shop there and have done for a while now .good old aldi have got myself and an awfull lot of northamton people through the double dip .

Cannot say if Boston has any or not. The store in right in the middle and a nightmare to get too.

I am off to Sainsbury's up the hill in the Market town of Spilsby soon. it's the nearest Supermarket to us.

Back