new scope

pablo.222

hi guys,

was requiring some information about cheaper scopes that are on the market and whats the best of the bunch, my budget is not much with a new addition to the family not long ago just want something to get me going for the time being until some more funds come along.

i have been looking at meopta, redfield, leupolds, weaver and nikon but have no idea what would make one better than the other. If anyone knows any other good makes that i may not know about would be appreciated. my budget would be around £300 mark but could go a litttle higher if needed but wouldnt like to. and not worrie if its variable or fixed but something around 8x56, 7x50 or even 3-12x 50 etc.
any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Paul

Hi.
I was in the same position as you so I put a Hawk endurance ir 3-12 x 56 (if I remember correctly) on my .243. It worked well for me until I could save up for a top end scope. Keep an eye on the classifieds in this forum because there are some good scopes that go for very reasonable prices.
cheers
Ewen

out of a matter of interest how well did u find the hawk? coz its same im poutting it on a 243. also.

hi guys,

was requiring some information about cheaper scopes that are on the market and whats the best of the bunch, my budget is not much with a new addition to the family not long ago just want something to get me going for the time being until some more funds come along.

i have been looking at meopta, redfield, leupolds, weaver and nikon but have no idea what would make one better than the other. If anyone knows any other good makes that i may not know about would be appreciated. my budget would be around £300 mark but could go a litttle higher if needed but wouldnt like to. and not worrie if its variable or fixed but something around 8x56, 7x50 or even 3-12x 50 etc.

thanks Paul
Paul
I had to get an interim scope, and after looking around got a Vortex Diamond back from macleods of Tain, they have a lifetime garuntee and are a very good scope.
Mine cost £219, and I upgraded to a S&B, but was more than happy with the Vortex.
There are loads of trials/reviews etc on them. If you fancy one PM me, as I may consider letting it go.

really for 350 quid you should be able to pick up a nice schmidt and bender 8 x 56 keep an eye out on here and on ebay you wont regret spending that little bit more for the quality

really for 350 quid you should be able to pick up a nice schmidt and bender 8 x 56 keep an eye out on here and on ebay you wont regret spending that little bit more for the quality

I'm with Jimbo there. I bought a redfield @£190 when i bought my rifle and was just never happy with it, nowt wrong with it, just nowt good about it either... Only bought it to make do whilst saving for something better, should have just stretched a bit more at the time.
Recently picked up a mint SH S&B 8x56 on here for £400, but seen them a little cheaper since. Also, cheap scopes have naff all resale value, where as S&B, Swaro, Ziess etc are still worth plenty on the SH market, making a good scope an 'investment'.

for that money as already said i would keep my eye open for a 8x56 schmidt and if you cant find one then go for a meopta ive owned both makes and i can honestly say there is very little in them opticaly but the schmidt will have the edge all be it very slightly in low light situations

Paul,

For what it's worth, in my opinion I would stretch your budget slightly and go new Meopta Artemis or find a good second hand S&B Hungarian. I can't see that there is any other answer to your question.

Good luck,

Tim

Last edited:
I should also have said the 6 x 42 is a fine scope too in schmidt and bender and has plenty of magnification for everyday stalking there have been a few on here for 300 quid

Me too. Got a Schmidt and Bender (6x42) for £250.00. The bees knees. If you are only shooting in woods it's quite enough and will last a lifetime.

Me too. Got a Schmidt and Bender (6x42) for £250.00. The bees knees. If you are only shooting in woods it's quite enough and will last a lifetime.
I actually know a highland keeper who uses a 6 x 42 on his 270 and has done for the last 20 years out to fairly long range, and another who used one on his 243 for all his stalking and lamping never had any problems

hi guys,

thanks Paul

Recently bought two schmidt and bender scopes off ebay for that sort of money,one 8x56 and the other 6x42.....theres a 6x42 on ebay now......

Paul the only advice I would give is buy the best you can afford, some say stretch lucky them, I can remember what it was like to have a young family and not enough money to go round, if you can only afford a cheap scope so be it
in spite of what some would have you believe a cheap scope is better than no scope.

What some don't seem to realise if on a tight budget it could be a case of a cheap scope or not shooting
OK a cheap scope will have a limited life, but it will do untill you can afford better.

Don't be afraid of S/H there are some good deals to be had.

For the money you have if buying new i would go for a Burris Fullfield 11 with the ballistic plex, not the newr Eo1? There was some on ebay from a british seller at under £200, i have one shot deer with it out to 165 yards at dusk and used it on targets to 300, cracking scopes. Recently bought a Meopro 4-12x50 that is getting great write ups everywhere for £372, nice scope but no better than the Burris, it was clearer at the edges but not the centre and light gathering the Burris beat it. Took it back and payed another few quid for a 8x50 Swarovski second hand, its in another league at dusk, did not realise what the fuss was about till i looked through it at 10.30 last night.

out of a matter of interest how well did u find the hawk? coz its same im poutting it on a 243. also.

I found the hawk to be very good, held it's zero and didn't let me down. But it's well worth checking out second hand ones either on this forum or ebay.
cheers
Ewen

theres an 8 x 56 on here in the optics section for 390 ono id make the lad an offer thats a good deal and great glass

For the money you have if buying new i would go for a Burris Fullfield 11 with the ballistic plex, not the newr Eo1? There was some on ebay from a british seller at under £200, i have one shot deer with it out to 165 yards at dusk and used it on targets to 300, cracking scopes. Recently bought a Meopro 4-12x50 that is getting great write ups everywhere for £372, nice scope but no better than the Burris, it was clearer at the edges but not the centre and light gathering the Burris beat it. Took it back and payed another few quid for a 8x50 Swarovski second hand, its in another league at dusk, did not realise what the fuss was about till i looked through it at 10.30 last night.
+1 on the Burris,I have used one and it did the job so well I bought one for my .223, the ballistic reticle works very well and the view is pretty good, and the 6x42 S&B is a hard act to beat IMHO superb image and very forgiving on eye relief, with the added advantage that its not the "in" thing so can be had cheaper than you might think, obviously not high mag, however it doesn't cost 2K either :D

Back