one powder

the scudd

hi just wondering is it possible to use one powder for 3 calibres, 6.5x55 243 and 25.06, any info much appreciated. thanks

I think you need to give us a hint on bullet weights that you want to use. I suggest a browse of the Hornady manual and you may get some ideas there. In my limited experience, I have found no benefits on majoring on one powder, instead I now focus on the bullets I would like to use and try 2 or 3 of the recommended powders for that bullet weight. Currently I have N165, N160, RL-19, RL-22, H4831 and H4350 in the cupboard. 3 of these are part tubs that I have got hold of to try out. Good luck. JCS

hi thanks for the help. i would be using 87grain in the 243, 95 grain in the 6.5 and 100 grain in the 25.06. i will check out the availability of the n160, thanks again

hi thanks for the help. i would be using 87grain in the 243, 95 grain in the 6.5 and 100 grain in the 25.06. i will check out the availability of the n160, thanks again

Reloder 17 should work with all those calibres and bullet weights. Alliant publish loads at Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide.

A UK supplier is bulk buying this identical powder direct from the manufacturer and packaging it as "Elcho 17".

It is available from a number of UK outlets, prices start at £50 per kilo which is exceptional value.

They also supply an equivalent (not the same make, but indistinguishable) to N140 called TR140, again from £50 per kilo. Its perhaps a bit fast for your .243 load but would suit the others.

These two powders are becoming well regarded in target shooting circles, where we are always on the lookout for bargains. E.g. my club bulk-buys the TR140 in 20kg containers and passes on the saving to members.

Ive tried a few different powders but now run my .204, .22.250, 6.5x55 all on Varget. Im getting great results from it and no hassle with messing around with different powders for each cal.

Reloader 19 might be an option to consider and gives excelent results in my 25.06 with 100grain bullets and is listed in the nosler reloading guide for the calibres you wish to reload for.
ATB
RICK O SHEA

Back