G'day from Downunder (Panamax)

Panamax

I was pleased to find this site and thought it would be interesting to read tips and advice from across the world. I hunt mainly red and fallow deer in Queensland and New South Wales as well as more established ferals such as pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits, hares and dingos (yes they are although they've been here longer than the first few). I use a Sako 75 in .270 for deer, a Weatherby Mk V in .243 for pigs and goats and a Sako 85 Varminter in .223 for smaller vermin. I also use a 1951 Model 1 Brno .22 for rabbits and hares for the pot. I handload all my centrefire ammunition.

Welcome to SD . Hoping to be in Brisbane myself next year!! Good to see there are shooting opportunities there

ATB Steve

Welcome to the site, nice to see another Aussie joining the SD site. Look forward to reading about your hunting exploits in the coming months. Plenty to hunt out there, although I have never hunted Aus myself.

Thanks for that. There are opportunities to hunt deer but it's all about access and I belong to a group that has developed relationships with landowners over many years to gain access to private properties carrying deer in south east Queensland. We have a management programme to try to improve the quality of the animals and have strict rules of harvesting. In New South Wales, there are a number of public parks and forests open to hunters who have attained the necessary accreditation by way of hunter education programmes.
As far as other species are concerned, this is on a more ad hoc basis where individuals seek access to private land much the same as farm door knocking in the UK. Most shooters belong to one of the major firearm associations - Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (SSAA) or The Australian Deer Association (ADA). Membership allows easier access to obtaining a firearms licence and networking helps your chance of locating a new hunting property. Brisbane boasts some very good quality shooting ranges (Google SSAA - Belmont) so it's relatively cheap and easy to shoot targets for practice and load development. Hope this is of interest.

Back