Thread: First stalk on the new permission

First stalk on the new permission

Decided tonight to have a walk around the new permission & then spend an hour or so in the high seat. So after arriving later than I would have liked as work got in the way I collected the padded seat & armrest etc from the farm workshop & then drove up two fields from the chosen spot. Parked up & crept to the high seat.........nothing in the field so up went the seat & armrests.

Back to the truck & collected the rifle, sticks & bino's, loaded up & set off. Stalked 3 field margins but nothing showing so decided to spend the last hour in the seat. Made the rifle safe & climbed up & got comfy. Glad I wrapped up tonight as it was breezy & chilly 15 feet up, even remembered me hat & gloves. Glassed the fields to my left & the wood margins directly in front & did so regularly for the next hour or so.............nothing!
    Just as I decided it was getting too dark to continue, movement to my left! A Roe moving down the field margin close to the wood. Got the bino's up & with a pounding heart fumbled for the focus............dam! A buck, ambling along & feeding as he went. He stopped 60 yards from me & slipped quietly back into the wood, I waited 10 minutes in case he had a doe with him hanging back but no joy, he was on his lonesome. Never mind thereís 5 days to go as Iíve promised my friends the leaseholders some venison before the 31st.

Stopped off at the local on the way home for a Guinness & met Jayne, my friends the leaseholders & some more farming friends so got some gentle ribbing, a good way to end the evening though.

The high seat

View in front

View to the left

A small copse to the right

Rosie with Ursula one of the leaseholders in the pub after

Nice bit of ground Chris

Happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint
    Nice bit of ground Chris

Happy hunting

Cheers Jonathon

Its 250 acres in total but about a 1/4 & the wood is off limits as the landowner lives on the edge & 3 of the fields border his property, he's OK but his wife's a tree hugger of the first order.

I'm lucky as some friends have the lease & farm goats & Gloucester Old Spots.

well done mate,fingers crossed next looks a like a nice bit of ground.

Went out again last night.............................up in the seat, 20 minutes later a Buck comes out of the wood directly opposite me. Crosses the ditch (the demarcation line) & starts to feed, 10 minutes later he's joined by the Doe. Mega excitement sets in now as I wait for her to cross the ditch. She feeds on bushes just inside the wood & I have the glasses on her constantly.

Will she step over into my field & join the Buck.................................will she buggery, wanders off back into the wood with the Buck in tow, mega frustration & that was it for the evening.

Come 1st April bet I see Does every trip.