Thread: Carcass Tag Info/Data. Who has it, uses it and is it available?

Carcass Tag Info/Data. Who has it, uses it and is it available?

All of us who sell deer or move it on through the food network put a tag on them with the location, weight, sex etc on.
    What happens to all this amazing data? Is it possible to access it?
    I for one would fascinated to know for example the numbers of what species were shot in my county year on year or it would help to know the geographical spread of certain species.
    I did a quick search on the site and could not find anything on this subject, perhaps some of you guys might be able to help my curiousity.

Account Suspended
    Bonnie Scotland
    I suspect it is like so many things... the information is required and then nothing is done with it at all. Who knows?

For instance, I just learned a couple of weeks ago, from a senior governmental employee, that the "annual sheep return" a compulsory report all sheep producers are required to fill out each year, has precisely nothing done with it whatsoever, other than filling up a warehouse with paper.

It has to be recorded by law for food traceability purposes. Records have to be maintained for two years at each stage of the food handling process. It is only likely to be used to trace back to origin if anything goes wrong. Like most data collected, it is of little use and soon archived!
    I'd like to be able to trace it the other way out of interest. I stick over 100 animals a year into the game dealer and I'd love to know where it all ends up at the final consumer. I suspect much of the roe is now exported. Hopefully I'll never find out though, as that would mean something had gone wrong as above!
    Also, the data is only as good as the person filling out the tag!

I get the impression that the traceability probably doesn't go much beyond the point of processing, I 've never seen a bit of venny with a larder tag number in the shops.

Good record keeping is well worth while for all of us . Collecting data from culled deer wont mean much in a single season but over time you will start to see trends in body wieght / fecundity , ratios of males to females. Collecting extra data like if hind/doe has ovulated and has one or more fertile eggs in the ovary allows you to extrapolate the likely numbers being born on the ground. You can readily tell from even quite early phoeti the sex the calves would have been . One season may see almost all culled roe does carrying male calves or female calves or after a particularly tough winter lots of singles instead of twins. In reds you can work out what the proportion of two year olds,three year olds and the occasional yearling which show up pregnant in the cull , transfer this to the remaining hinds and then see if the numbers match up when you do a recruitment count. The value of such record keeping only increases the longer the period you can keep collecting it.
    One thing i've found really interesting is plotting culls on a map whether reds or roe. Year on year i cull animals in the same spots to within a few yards, over time it identifies preferred grazings and territorial hot spots.

Thanks guys, I'll ask my game dealer what happens to the info. My suspicions are the tags make it no further than the skinning room floor, perhaps they are put on some sort of register at the local dealer and no further.
    If this is the case it would be a terrible waist of some very usefull data.

Not sure of the situation in England, but in Scotland venison may only be sold to a registered venison dealer he must return records to SNH of all deer received usually annually but SNH may request returns more often in some cases monthly, these returns will contain the information that was on the tags, additional information should be kept by the dealer a record of the person selling name and address this can be checked against signature and trained hunter number

the dealer should also keep a record of registration of any vehicle delivery venison this may be checked as above if there is suspicion of poaching for example or any other reason to check the identity of the person who made the delivering

The dealer must keep records for a minimum period of three years and these must be available for inspection by SNH or the police at any time.

These records are supposedly confidential, you will know if thats true when an Inspector from the Inland Revenue knocks on your door.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 27-06-2012 at 10:59. Reason: spelling

Also should have said the owner or occupier of land must also keep records of deer shot

Where shot, by whom, trained hunter, date shot, tag number, if sold to whom sold, date sold

These records must also be submitted to SNH

They can then be cross referenced against the dealers returns if necessary.

Of course its possible to abuse any system ,and I am certain this one is no different, however it may be a little more difficult to do so in Scotland as opposed to the rest of the UK as in Scotland you only really have the option of selling to a registered venison dealer, or eating it yourself, even giving it away which is common practise is not really legal as all venison entering the food chain should pass through a registered dealer.

The below link shows you the European Traceability requirement:

Please note (it was highlighted on the Dutch Hunting Forum) that as of the 1st of July 2012 the following extra regulation comes in to force:

Article 3
    Traceability requirements
    1. Food business operators shall ensure that the following information concerning consignments of food of animal origin is made available to the food business operator to whom the food is supplied and, upon request, to the competent authority:
    (a) an accurate description of the food;
    (b) the volume or quantity of the food;
    (c) the name and address of the food business operator from which the food has been dispatched;
    (d) the name and address of the consignor (owner) if different from the food business operator from which the food has been dispatched;
    (e) the name and address of the food business operator to whom the food is dispatched;
    (f) the name and address of the consignee (owner), if different from the food business operator to whom the food is dispatched;
    (g) a reference identifying the lot, batch or consignment, as appropriate; and
    (h) the date of dispatch.

2. The information referred to in paragraph 1 shall be made available in addition to any information required under relevant provisions of Union legislation concerning the traceability of food of animal origin.

3. The information referred to in paragraph 1 shall be updated on a daily basis and kept at least available until it can be reasonably assumed that the food has been consumed.

When requested by the competent authority, the food business operator shall provide the information without undue delay. The appropriate form in which the information must be made available is up to the choice of the supplier of the food, as long as the information requested in paragraph 1 is clearly and unequivocally available to and retrievable by the business operator to whom the food is supplied.

This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.

Basically, like any food, if there is an outbreak of something nasty and it is traced back to venison they will attempt to find the source by tracing back the audit trail. If the trail goes cold because the restaurant or the game dealer hasn't kept the statutory records then they are going to be in trouble. So its my guess they are simply archived somewhere 'just in case', like many financial records are.