LED Lenser - red filter system required

AI perfector

Hi all, I have an M14 Led Lenser, which has an excellent beam and which I wish to try out for foxing. When buying it, I was told that the manufacturer does not offer any filters; at the time it was not an issue as the torch was for other uses. Has anyone any ideas as to what would be an appropriate material that would reduce fox awareness of the beam and which could be cut to shape and then secured to the objective (External diameter 1.85")? Thanks in advance.

For the benefit of all, I used some red acetate to good effect (sitting between the lens and the lens housing - cut to shape of interior diameter of the housing.) The particular sample I used was a tad dark so will source and try out more shades. I received suggestions as to where to purchase/acquire being :

Hobby or lighting stores. e,g Hobbycraft. Maybe ask for a (free?) sample pack from a film lighting company. A search for ‘lighting filters’, ‘lighting acetate’ on the web".

Good luck to others following this route

It is worth noting that the effectiveness of a filter (by this I mean how much light it lets through, vs. how much it blocks) is driven very much by the colour temperature of the bulb in each torch. Lights will be nowhere as effective in their throw with a filter on as they will be off - the filter stops a lot of the light passing through. For those interested, companies are starting to produce colour LED torches (so all the light produced is transmitted) - common colours are red and green (for hunting/observation) and blue (for blood tracking). IMO LEDwave are the best of these I've seen - but have yet to try one in anger.

Back