Brattonsound Rifle safe foam inserts

palmer_mike

Anyone got any ideas?
I have a Brattonsound cabinet ST9 (i think) which i use for my rifles. The foam inserts aren't really suitable for the scoped rifles so i'd like to get some deeper foam inserts to avoid the possibility of nocking the scopes about in the cabinet. The brattonsound RD7 cabinet is exactly the same dimensions as my cabinet so the inserts for that would be perfect.

Here's the problem - phones brattonsound sales (prvention) department today and yes they will supply the inserts for £4 ish. Plus postage which they will only send them by courier would bring them up to £12. I asked if they would send them royal mail at my risk but no. Any ideas how i can get some inserts sorted without having my leg lifted for postage?

I was going to suggest look on the flea under 'gun rack' but they seem to be £11.....:eek:

Not worth going to the drapers in Brentwood (or failing that Franklins in Chelmsford) and buying a block of foam and cutting it your self to what you need?

I was going to suggest look on the flea under 'gun rack' but they seem to be £11.....:eek:

Not worth going to the drapers in Brentwood (or failing that Franklins in Chelmsford) and buying a block of foam and cutting it your self to what you need?

Might be worth doing the DIY Foam thing, i'll look into that!

Any Suite Upholsterer should be able to help you out Mike, they work with sevaral types of foam,

and always have plenty of offcuts left when doing cushions etc.

Atb, Buck.

I made a card template for the type of divider I wanted inside the cabinet, then look it to the local foam place and they cut it for me. Was less than a fiver I'm sure.

Cheers,

hh

I made a card template for the type of divider I wanted inside the cabinet, then look it to the local foam place and they cut it for me. Was less than a fiver I'm sure.

Cheers,

hh

Good idea, I'll do the blue-peter template and take it to an upholsterer (i know where i can find one!)
Thanks for the suggestions
Mike

You might want to think about making the divider a bit deeper than the usual ones. I got them to use about 4in thick foam, rather than the more usual 1in stuff - gives more support to the barrels and the guns seem to stay put a bit better.

hh

I took a 10" wide piece of 6mm MDF, drilled 2" holes along the centre line then split along the centre line with a circular saw which gives a piece of wood looking like

-U-U-U-U-U- (ish).

Used "No Nails" (other products are available) to stick a piece of 1" batten along the underside of the back edge, lined the "U"'s with pipe lagging foam and then stuck the thing in my cabinet using No Nails again.

Works "perfick" & stands scoped rifles (up to 56mm objective with high mounts) well off the cabinet wall.

Cost? Not a lot.

Last edited:
One small word of caution on making your own. Some of the foams are made to be flame retardant and many of these use salt in their production! Obviously not good for your rifles.
:eek:

I took a 10" wide piece of 6mm MDF, drilled 2" holes along the centre line then split along the centre line with a circular saw which gives a piece of wood looking like

-U-U-U-U-U- (ish).

Used "No Nails" (other products are available) to stick a piece of 1" batten along the underside of the back edge, lined the "U"'s with pipe lagging foam and then stuck the thing in my cabinet using No Nails again.

Works "perfick" & stands scoped rifles (up to 56mm objective with high mounts) well off the cabinet wall.

Cost? Not a lot.

That is pretty much what I have also done.

A lot more sturdy than the foam.

Cheers

Ross

Thats an easy one. Had the same problem. I got a piece of old packing foam from a new printer we had, cut into bloks about 1 1/2" wide, 4" deep and 4" high then cut a V in one side with a bread knife. They wedge into the existing slots to hold scopes away from the safe. The best thing is I can take them out and move around as necessary and add more when I buy some new rifles:D

As a double benefit, I found a big bag of silica gel in the same printer box IIRC and keep that in the safe as well. Ones man's junk........!

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
On doors in hardware shops there is quite often foam in a 'u' shape that you can cut to shape and glue to the inside of your cabinate. They may have some if you ask nicely. I have also stuck some thick felt to the inside to stop those accidental scraches to the scope as rifles are lifted in and out.

last time i had dealings with Bratton they were based in Sutton, if they are still there and will let me collect the foam inserts in person i go passed there on way to work so could pick up and send on to you.

ATB Andy

Back